Chapter 12: The Returning To and the Decoding of the Myth of 8,14 and 22

Ashla - Leila's POV:

Eight, fourteen, twenty-two. The words echo around inside my head manically along with Luna's howling as she tries to find comfort with Storm who looks equally afraid of whatever those numbers equate to. Something that I can tell when I let my eyes meet Ash's he has no more of an idea about either. No one in the room seems to know on a conscious level but every stare I meet seems to beam back that same soul-deep trepidation I can feel slowly stealing like a weakness through my veins. Like silver poisoning and making rational thought almost impossible given how I can feel myself shaking where even Ash's gentle touch does little to alleviate my fear.

What's wrong? That's what I keep trying to ask with my eyes since I'm afraid to speak aloud and break whatever spell of silence that had spread across the room. Trapping us all inside it. I'm afraid to break in in case that serves to be the tipping point off of this absurd knife-point we all seem to be dancing on without knowing it. What's wrong? I risk asking Ash through our shared connection but he just frowns down at me, not losing that panicked look that has me shivering beyond what I can control until I feel the room start to mirror me. Showing that whatever little power was left inside me was close to being tripped.

Suddenly anxious I try to push it down but I can't do it on my own since the shivers keep progressing from hideable ones to full-on tremors that shake my small frame from head to toe. Ash notices that and holds me closer until some of the shivering dials down and I see the others in the room let out low sighs of relief. But that feeling's short-lived since we still have no idea what the numbers mean that still bounce around in my head like a disturbed hornet's nest. Eight, fourteen, twenty-two. What did those numbers mean and what did they lead to? Were they some sort of code? If so, what for? Was it a warning from the other side of this toxic, twisted game we were still playing? If so, from who and why?

Are you ok Lei? Hearing Ash's voice in my head grounds me more but can't stop the tremors that had started up again and kept shooting through me like stars and leaving me dizzy. It'll be ok, we'll figure this out and it'll be fine.

For how long? I ask, hearing the way my voice shakes. But it's not just from fear now. No, suddenly as if by magic, I'm freezing and unable to control myself. And not in a good way since I can feel my claws coming in and out of my skin along with a high ringing sound in my ears that seems to make me even dizzier the longer it lasts. What....what's wrong with me? I ask through chattering teeth since speaking aloud would have been out of the question. Ash looks confused but a new and unfamiliar tone of fear enters his voice and his eyes the longer the strange feelings rip through us both. Worse for him since he can feel what's happening to me but has no idea what it means. A-Ash? I try again but I can tell he has no idea what's wrong with me when he just holds me closer. But that's a bad idea since my skin's now so cold that his feels like an open flame. Something that has me mewling in pain slightly until he seems to register what it means and attempts to let go of me. But I just hold on and weather the pain since it makes me feel slightly more grounded to know he's close. Not that it does much for the-