Chapter 56: A Different Kind of Love

Kalliope's POV:

Kalliope's POV:

Following Eris's words, I feel every wolf in the room tense up, remembering what happened to the pack she was talking about. Though I know it hit those who were former members of the pack more since they all curled up with their mates until they almost ended up sitting on or near them. Kessal was no exception since he cuddled close enough I could rest my head across his back seconds before I shifted to try and offer as much comfort as possible.

Are you ok? Nudging him with my snout he looks up at me with mournful eyes and tries to figure out how to explain it to me seconds before I feel a sudden inrush of power as something blue raced through my fur and let me feel the electric kiss of the dormant power seconds before it faded out and passed into Kessal as well. What just happened? I thought we had all the power already? What was that?!

"It happened," Eris's first words since what she'd said makes no sense to me until she continues with what she'd been hiding. "Since your parents were alive a small fraction of the power they passed to you stayed with them. Meaning this game we've been trapped playing wasn't able to be finished since the prophecy it's tied to decreed that all the power had to be within the same generation."

That's why Amber murdered them, isn't it? I ask Eris and see her nod. But why attack the Litha Moon pack? They weren't affiliated with all this and were miles away in another realm. Why involve them when she was after mom and dad? Uncle Ash and aunt Leila? Me and Dana? Why would she go after them and why do I think you know more than you're letting on? When I say that I hear Dana growl where she'd also shifted, Braeden, doing all he could to keep her calm and avoid inciting a bloodbath when we'd already lost so much. Eris? Can you explain or is it something we can't know?

She sighs then, looking around at all the tear-stained faces where no matter if we were in our wolf forms or human ones our collective sadness was evident. "It matters as Amber knew the identities of your mates before you did since she managed to steal the images you had from when you blacked out the first time and decoded it before we could. By the time we had, it was already late and we knew because the massacre had already happened. They were all already dead. And for that I'm sorry, we all are." She looks around at the wolves who survived the massacre and I feel a hot rush of anger flood through me, keeping it in check enough to avoid destroying anything but not much else.

So she killed them to lead them here? Why though that still doesn't make sense Eris, Remarkably calm since Braeden had tried to figure out how to make sure she didn't lose it Dana took over from me and asked the hard-hitting questions whilst I tried to figure out how to keep Kessal from losing it since the power appeared to have heightened everything that passed between us since we tested it out in the palace before my parents died. Why would that mean she would target them over anyone else in her vendetta to get rid of the people she had a problem with?

Because we were the only people who could destroy her and she needed us out of the way. Either that or contained somewhere she could keep us from destroying her plan. I muttered to my cousin, seeing when her angry blue eyes snap to mine, the gold flecks she inherited from my uncle swirling like crazy behind the moonstone blue. She needed the four of us together since we're the only ones who can stop her right? I look at Eris then and see that she's nodding. But why choose now? Why wait until now when it's clear she could have done it whenever she wanted as we grew up? Why wait until we're who we are now? Was it just to do with the Mates Lore or does it go deeper than that? Back to whatever this prophecy you keep talking about? The more I talk the less Eris says and the closer I feel I am to deciding that I've hit the nail on the head, that is until she speaks.