Chapter 38: Secret Deal

Many Hours Later

Many Hours Later

Kalliope's POV:

"Kalli?" Dana's worried voice snaps me out of sleep many hours later and I blink awake to see that I was trapped face down on my front, my damaged skin pressed close to a silver examination table with that same blood-stealing tube sticking out of my left elbow.

Only now it had been joined with a similar tube coming out of my right elbow as well. Only this one was a murky dark colour and made me feel lightheaded and nauseous. Poison or wolfsbane maybe? Either that or some other sort of substance to hurt you. My brain chips in and I sigh.

"Dana?" Horrified, my voice comes out shaky and weak. Not what I wanted it to do given that we were still on enemy territory and I refused to let them win under any circumstance. "Where are the other two?"

"Right here you little freak," Angel's calm voice cuts through the silence and when I turn my head I can see that the four of us are trapped the same way I woke up. All in the same state of pain. "We need to send a message to your parents to let them know that we're not joking. Shame it had to come to this,"

"Now, now Angel. Don't pretend you won't enjoy this. You to Heidi." The person who speaks is none other than the infamous Kali Starr. With her, I can see her sisters - the infamous Starr Triad. Add to that Heidi, Angel, Amber and the others on their side of the board I can only guess that this is their next tactical move since kidnapping the four of us. Especially since I have a feeling she let our friends go as we asked at the beginning of all this.

"Whoever said anything about me not enjoying it?" Angel asks in a put-out tone as I feel someone or something tighten the leather straps that kept me bound to the table as much as the handcuffs, ankle bracelets, blood-feeding tube and false IV of whatever toxic plants were being fed into it.

Stuck as I am I try one last time to move before I hear a high-pitched whine followed by the intrusive chill of a metal claw digging into my back over where my wings were open and trying to keep me safe.

Until the pain started.

A sharp ripping pain spreads across my back as I feel something pushing through and breaking the bones in my back and the delicate bones connecting my wings to my back. But it keeps going. Going until it breaks through the front of my rib cage as well, closing with a snap and a slurp as it cuts through my spine as well. And that scared me as I couldn't feel anything after that happened. Just a paralysing numbness that ate away at my mind like a toxin that I clung to without consciously realising. Just to avoid the pain of what I know will come when sensation is sparked up again inside me. The pain it will bring.

But for now? For now, I fade away and try to remember to stay alive. At least long enough to finish what I have to do....

Ashla-Leila's POV:

Meanwhile

Days have passed now since we heard from Dana, Kalli or their friends. I'm worried something has happened but I don't say anything as I know everyone feels the same, whether or not they say it.