Chapter 48: Meeting the Council

Kalliope's POV:

Kalliope's POV:

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" That's the first thing that gets said after aunt Leila suggests taking us to meet the Council. The one I'm assuming is made up of the elders of each species rather than the one I know dad and uncle Ash are both on. "I mean that's quite a drastic step, are we sure we need to do this?" Uncle Ash seems to be against the idea but I'm still not recovered from the note found on the door and the vision we'd experienced to weigh in with what I thought about it.

Are you ok babe? Kessal's gentle voice comes into my mind and I feel both Lana and I relax when we realise that he and Alex aren't going anywhere for a while. Is it just about what the vision showed and what happened with your parents' friend finding the letter on the palace door? He sounds like he's trying to understand but I can't put my finger on the exact reason for my bad feeling, just that it's there and sitting on my chest like a weight stopping me from breathing properly. Kalli?

I'm not sure what it means. I respond carefully, hoping that what I'm saying won't make an already bad situation worse by me not understanding my feelings. I have a bad feeling, that much I can say, but I can't figure out exactly why I feel that way, just that I do. Please tell me you understand and that I'm not crazy. I try pleading with him, not sure If I'm able to handle him being against me on this before I even hear what he has to say. The pain of my bad feeling constricting my breathing enough that had I been human I'd be hyperventilating by now. Please tell me you understand.

I do but I can't work out why unless it's to do with what's going on. But if it's that then maybe taking the four of us to the Council is a good idea. Especially since we don't know why the power's suddenly started acting up inside us when we'd gotten used to controlling it before. Kessal sounds like he's thought about this before and I wish I could have the answer for him but I know I won't lie. I can't lie. No matter how bad it gets around here I can't lie as that's what I hold dear above most other things: honesty from those I care about.

Why do you say that Kals? This time it's both Dana and Kessal who ask me the question, Braeden just regarding me from across the room with a faintly confused look that I understand but don't know how to change since I can't explain myself how or why I feel the way I do. It's just there and has been ever since I woke up from the vision and had that sense of unrelenting dread encasing me.

But it's not as if I can easily place what's spooking me so much about what was said, though it felt as though it was tied to the vision we'd all just witnessed but had said very little about since we'd been trying to figure out if we could understand it or tell our parents since they looked thrilled to have us back but also like something was worrying them more than normal. They seemed on edge, nervous as if they knew something we didn't know about all that was going on - something Lana reminded me could have been possible since they still had to tell us the whole truth sooner or later.

I just feel like by doing what your dad suggests Dana we're playing into her hands. Amber's I mean. It's as if by doing what your dad's suggesting we're letting her win like we're helping her out with whatever plan she's concocting to further twist the game in her favour, therefore causing us to be at a disadvantage as a result, no matter if we caused it or not?