Chapter 1: The Acceptance of an Uneasy Truth

Now

Now

Ashla-Ash's POV:

"I hate this,"

Rosa's words snap us all out of whatever we'd been doing before she'd spoken. Not that I knew why she'd done it, much less the reason behind her words. It had been a peaceful six months since we took out the threat that had been stalking us for years. Long before my brother met Rosa and a lot longer before I met the beautiful girl currently lying with her head on my lap with her eyes half-closed where my hands had been playing in her hair.

"Come again?" I ask with a confused tone when Rosa glares at the wall, everyone around her recoiling from the unstable energy she seemed to be projecting. Something she and Leila both seem to do at the most inopportune of times, though hopefully, it's just the pregnancy and not something else messing with the two of them. "What happened now, Rosalie?"

Rosa glares at me and I shiver when I see the black and amber eyes that I hate seeing since they always seem to come before a loss of control. "Call me that again and I don't care who's brother you are, I'll rip you apart." Her eyes flash and I feel the tension in the room increase, my eyes widening when I register what she said. Seconds later she claps a hand over her mouth and her eyes widen in fear. Fear and regret. "Ash I-I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me."

I sigh, knowing what she said was true. I'd had it enough with Leila in the past six months after she'd managed to heal from Amber's attack. "It's ok Rose, I know you don't mean it. Though I don't know what's got the two of you suddenly feeling so unstable," I muse out loud, seeing my brother share a look with me over Rosa's head. "It's like when Leila and I met for the first time and we couldn't balance each other out. Though why it's doing it now I can't understand."

Leila tips her head up then, giving me a look I can't quite understand before she looks away again. Not sure what to make of that I don't mention it but I also can't ignore the strange way she's being. "Are you ok beloved?" I ask her gently, waiting to see if she'll answer me before I start to get worried. "Beloved?"

"Not sure," Leila sounds confused but I can't tell if it's from what I asked or what Rosa said before. "I mean I feel ok but that might just all be in my head," She twists over to look up at me with a strange expression. "Hey maybe it's just all in my head and you've married a madwoman." Her eyes are alight with mischief and I can't stop the smile that comes from seeing her both safe and happy after what we went through not so long ago. "Hey none of that Ash," She hits me on the side of the head and I blink, giving her a wounded expression that has a smile on her face again. "Hey, none of that, no looking back at what happened, it's in the past and let's leave it there ok?" I watch her with half a grin and she sighs, rolling her eyes, "Ok?"

I keep watching her to see if she'll drop the subject but she just keeps her eyes on mine, her expression shifting to more unstable and angry the longer I refuse to answer her. Still not sure how far to push her, I decided to keep quiet a second longer before her eyes start to darken and I take that as a cue to reassure her that I'd heard and understood her, even if I didn't entirely agree with her logic.