Chapter 8: Visions of Destruction

Hours Later

Hours Later

Ashla-Leila's POV:

"Reckon they're ok?" Rosa asks after the others had been gone a few hours. But I hadn't spoken since Ash had left me with her, using my connection to him to make sure that he's ok. No matter what he says to the contrary. "Hello?" Rosa's voice snaps me half out of my head but it doesn't work since half of my attention is still fixed on Ash until he manages to come through the door, reassuring me that he's ok. Something Rosa seems to notice since she puts a hand on my arm. "He's ok, they all are. Or else we would know."

"I can't be sure of that," I responded to her in level tones, seeing her frown. "It's because of what Amber made him do to me before." Rosa's face spasms with pain and I know it because she's as haunted as Ash. "He doesn't tell me but I'm sure he's gotten nightmares from that. It's like it made him doubt himself again like when we met. And I hate that because I can't stand to see him in pain but he won't tell me what's wrong or let me help. Even though I know he blames himself."

She sighs but doesn't say another word, her eyes locked on something in the middle distance before she speaks again, looking towards me with a glimmer of hurt in her eyes - though that may not be to do with what I said but for what was happening to Mae since the two were friends. Even though I know from speaking to Hunter that her nightmares had come back as well. We all suffered from them - the four of us who had been trapped - and I wished more than anything I could have someone to help us but even Becky's magic would do little. I know what. "He does that because he finds it easier than blaming another," Rosa replies and I know she's right but doesn't say anything. "And about the nightmares, you may be right, but confronting him won't help. Let him tell you when he's ready. I know him, when he's ready to say something he'll tell you."

"Like you and Hunter talking about it?" I ask her and see that she nods, a degree of wariness in her expression that makes me feel guilty instantly. "I'm sorry I asked that, I never meant to hurt you," I reply to her as someone walks in the door. But for those of us who were missing people who had gone down to help dispose of the last pair of monarchs, we looked around to see no one there. Just Becky and a slightly paler Chalice and Mara. "Everything ok?"

"Yea," Becky sighs, dropping to the floor with a tired sigh. "Mae's all done, three boys by the looks of it, she and Jackson will be busy." She offers a tired smile. "I think the others are all just about ready." She looks around to see the Lilias' had already done it and had their little girl. Something that makes me feel both happy and sad since I know that they would be bringing the child into the game. Most of the supernatural creatures who had been sheltering with us - the Lilias', the Damaris', the Dravens, Lazlos' and the Nights' had all already given birth which just left me, Rosa and Eris since Mae had just given birth a few hours ago. Meaning all the children would be in the same class and age group. All a part of the next round of the game.

Rosa sighs and I feel some of the coiled tension inside me melt away when we both realise our Luna was safe. "That's good. I know she'd been nervous since....hey, you ok?" Rosa changes what she'd been saying last-minute but unlike before when she has done that I don't ask her why. I don't have to ask since I can feel he's near me from the electric tingles in the air. Something that alerts me to my beloved's presence without fail every time. "Are you ok?" A pause happens before she speaks again. "Is...is it done?"