Chapter 26: Disturbia

The Next Day

The Next Day

Dana's POV:

The next day I'm still too angry at my parents to be able to think clearly. Something that has me seeing red at the most inopportune of times and also has me snapping at people ranging from my cousin to my friends and lastly to my mate. Something that has me feeling guilty but unable to turn off since my anger toughened me up to my parents' attempts at making things right since none of them included telling me the fucking truth. Something that annoyed me and Midnight to no end.

"Still nothing?" Braeden asks when we'd all settled into a booth at the Midnight Dahlia, a club and lounge frequented by a whole host of supernatural creatures. I growl and glare in the direction of the pulsing strobe lights only to feel my mate's arm around my shoulder seconds later, the comfort it offers me making me feel slightly more grounded. The keyword being slightly.

"Nope, nada." This time it's Kalli who responds instead of me but the anger in my body language is reflected in her tone, and catching her eyes I can see that faint temperance of moonstone blue on her eyes that I know may very well be in mine. "Any of you manage to get it out of your parents, what we're involved in?" Kalli's mesmeric eyes frame the whole group in a slow rotation but I can see the myriad of expressions on people's faces.

Chloe, Braeden and Kessal all look to be avoiding looking at anyone other than one another. Same with Willow and Autumn since the five weren't part of our pack or game before since they knew nothing other than what I'd found in Braeden's memories about the attack. A similar sequence to what I'd seen in my mom's happened to my grandparents on her side. Those same insubstantial creatures - Shadows - are being used in both scenarios to wrought the havoc and pain I can see and remember, even when it's not a direct part of me. Or my past.

Feeling my anger rising I look at the rest of those gathered and I can see a range of expressions. Ace, Hale and Lex seem to be glowering despite Autumn, Willow and Chloe trying to make them feel better or more grounded. But it's a wasted effort on the girls' part since I can feel the boys' anger through the Pack Link and it mirrors mine and Kalli's. Same with Daven and Bella who were glowering - though Daven more than Bella since his parents - Hannah and Luca - had been members of our pack long before Bella had joined. Joining later since her parents had been loner wolves and she wanted a pack after they died. But like with the other wolves on our side of this board - involved in the game through the ties of family - they were all mad. Mad that we were a part of something bigger than all of us but that they refused to explain. Our parents that is.

"How about any of our resident witches?" I ask, looking to see that Vina, Cassian, Livy, Russel and Kalli were all similarly scowling. "I'll take that as a no then?" swirling my drink around my glass the blood-mixed spirit makes me feel slightly more relaxed and see that the others seemed a little less on edge the longer we stayed at the Midnight Dahlia rather than going home to our respective houses since we'd all walked out the longer our parents had refused to speak. Or be honest.