Chaos

~Magnolia Knight~

When the news dropped that Grace was dead, all of our hearts sunk in the pit of our stomach. We couldn't believe it. Ethan broke down, like expected and it broke my heart to see him suffer like this. After all I went through the same thing with Jace. It hurts, rips the heart appart and we can't do anything against it.

Ethan should have been happy. After all he is, or was, the only brother to dare to have a relationship with someone and look at the results. Pain and Death.

It's so unfair.

For the hour he stayed crouched on the floor, all of us stayed in the room, supporting him as best as we could. Jace held me close, gripping me towards his body to let me know that he was there for me. This only makes me realise that can't live this again. I can't lose Jace again, I would only break me forever, to the point of no return.

I texted Elijah to let him know what happened. He didn't get to meet Grace though. He walked away, before she and Ethan came towards us at the ball to do the introductions. But something was off with him yesterday. Maybe he knew what was coming... I didn't see him, when the attack happened...

"Lia ?"
I snap out of my thoughts, when Jace calls me back to reality. I was laying in his arms on one of the couches of the waiting room and he was currently staring at my phone that was in my hands with a clenched jaw.

"What does the fucker want." He grits out between his teeth and I realise that he was reading the conversation between Elijah and me. I didn't mind though, I prefer him knowing than hiding it from him. I couldn't anyway.

"He has information on the attack. He thinks we should meet in person, so he could explain. He thinks it's safer." I explain to Jace, who only tenses at my words.

"Fuck no." He spits out like venom. "You are not going near him, Magnolia. I don't trust this guy."

"You are saying that just because he is the leader of your rival gang Jace ! I need to find out what happened yesterday." I object, but he doesn't let go.

"Let Damon handle it. I am not leaving you."

At this moment, my head snaps to the side, when I see Ethan storming out of the room, followed closely by Blake. He is devastated.
Damon stands up, and I see him tugging at his hair in frustration. This reaction doesn't happen a lot. Especially not with Damon. He is usually the calm one, never scared or never showing his feelings, always having everything under control.

I slowly tap the hand of Jace that is sneaked around my waist, to make him understand to let me go, so I could stand up. He does so, but not before giving me a kiss the on the forehead.

I make my way towards Damon and stop right next to him.

"It's not your fault Damon." I state and meet his gaze, when he looks at me with a cold look. I know it's only a facade, he is hiding his true emotions, but he shouldn't. Not with me.

"I should have known. I sweared on my grave to protect my family, but I failed. Grace is dead, because I wasn't cautious enough. Now Ethan is broken. I promised myself our family wouldn't have to go through death again, because of the fucking mafia. But here it is.

"Nobody knew ! You couldn't have done anything to prevent this. So stop messing with your head about that."

He doesn't respond. I can see the wheels turning in his mind, as he seems to search for answers to this. Then somethings clicks in his mind and turns towards me.