Seeking for Approval

~Magnolia Knight~

I wake up panting and breathing like I have been out of air for the past hours. Sweat trickles down my forehead, as I slowly sit up and look around me to see that my body is covered by the covers of my bed sheets. I take the familiarity of my room in, and repeat to myself that it was all a nightmare. With trembling hands, I remove the covers of my body and stand up on my unstable legs that are still in shock of the images my mind showed me, while I was asleep. As I make my way towards my bathroom, I make sure to breath in slowly, so I wouldn't pass out on the floor from the lack of  oxygen. With a hurried movement, I open the tap of the sink and let the cold water flow on my fingers, before I splash it on my pale face.

"I thought that I was finally done with these nightmares."I mumble under my breath, as I take a last look at myself in the mirror, before I head back into my room to go straight towards my balcony. When I open the door, fresh air hits my naked arms which makes me shiver for a short second, before I lean over the ledge of the barrier. I close my eyes as I recall the events from yesterday or today if I should rather say. Seeing Jace again, just made a whole weight fall of my chest, so I could finally breath again. On one side, I am so pissed at him for leaving me like this, alone and afraid, and I am so angry about that, but I can't help it but to feel relief. Relief of being able to see him again. Of feeling his touch on my skin. Having his arms wrapped around my waist, his warm breath on my neck... My heart just won't let me hate him. Even if I wanted to. I can't.

Last night, he brought me home in his arms, when I crumbled under his touch, probably too exhausted, because of all the emotions I felt in one single night. My body couldn't take it anymore and it's probably  the reason why the nightmares of Nick and Steve beating me came out from the under the barrier I managed to create these past weeks. Maybe I am still too weak to live past this trauma and all the events just made this wall crack, letting space for the nightmares to crawl back into my mind. I suddenly feel the need of having Jace by my side again. I know he isn't allowed to be in my room, because of the stupid rules of my brothers, but he can help me. He understands me. At least I knew he did. I don't know if he still does.

As I look at the sun slowly rising in the horizon, I hear a few voices right under me, and if I am correct it should come from the terrace. I distinguish one voice being the one of Ethan and the other is from a girl. That's when I remember what Ethan once told me. He has a girlfriend. Does that mean that his is the opportunity for me to see who she is ? Fuck yeah ! I lean a bit more forward to try and see them and I fortunately get a glimpse of blond hair.

"Grace, you got to leave before someone sees you." I hear the hushed voice of Ethan and she giggles, before kissing him. And then I watch her leave in a small jog motion to the back yard. Back yard ? Is there a secret passage or something ? I watch as Ethan appears right under me with a smile painted on his face. A real one. He deserves it.

"When are you going to introduce Grace to me brother ?" I smirk and I watch as his smile fades, before he spins his head upwards to meet my amused expression.

"Jesus Magnolia ! You scared the shit out of me you know that ?" He lets out a small breath, before a questioning expression forms on his face. "Why are you up so soon anyway ? Are you okay ? You wanna talk ?" The questions shoot, not leaving space for any answer, which makes his protectiveness peek out of his little hole. When he notices that I don't respond, he gestures for me to get down.

Once I put a hoodie on, I find Ethan in the kitchen island drinking a warm cup of tea. He gives me a small smile and gives me my own cup, which I gladly take, before sitting down next to him on one of the stools. We drink our tea in silence, before he decides to dig a little further into why I am up again this soon.

"You had a nightmare again ?" He asks and looks at me with his green eyes that have a glimpse of worry in them. "I can see how unrested you are and how you are far away in your mind. Want to talk ?"

I let out a deep sight and run my fingers through my uncombed hair. "I had a bad dream about Nick and Steve again... I think these past few days have just been too much for me to handle and my body wants me to know that, by punishing me even more." I mumble and sip a bit from my Jasmin tea to calm my nerves that are all over the place.

Ethan gives me a sympathetic look, before gently laying a hand on my shoulder to bring me towards him, so he could hug me. I let myself go in his arms.

"Jace seems like a good guy, you know. He might have done mistakes, but I can see how deeply he cares for you. I approve it." I chuckle at Ethan's approval and just snuggle deeper into his chest to find some more comfort in my brother. I have the feeling I wasn't really able to hang out with him as much these past days, and I hate it.

An hour later the whole family was down at the dinner table and I didn't even care to give a look at Blake. I was still mad as hell with him for making me stop racing. I hope he knows that now.

Damon clears his throat, making us understand that he has an announcement to make and that we should listen.

"Like I told you, there is a ball this week, or tomorrow to be more precise. I want you all to wear something appropriate, so go shopping if it's needed, but don't make me regret letting you some freedom to make a choice about your clothes. I warn you. There are going to be a lot of gangs, allies and enemies there, so stay an alert. Boys I want you to stay by your sister's side the entire night, so don't let her out of your sight. Am I making myself clear ?" He orders and makes sure to get approval from all of us, before explaining a bit more how the night is going to go. It's not as danger free, as I thought it would be and it worries me. I wonder if Jace will be there. I know his gang is, but will he uncover his identity ? I am not sure of that, but I need to figure it out before tomorrow. I prefer to be prepared, if things go down in a way or an other.

Damon let's us stay home for today instead of going to school, he wants the boys at home for a very important case, one I am not allowed to be part of and I hate it. I thought I was finally able to help them, but Ethan insisted that I should stay out of it. I can't even go by myself to school, so I stay at home slowly heading towards my bedroom.

As I close my door, I turn around and gasp, when I see a present box set on my bed, a silver ribbon holding the white box together. A fresh Magnolia flower is set on the gift, along with a letter, probably from the gift giver.

I put the letter on the side, and slowly, I tug on the ribbon, which makes the box open, leaving me speechless.

A beautiful champagne coloured satin dress is neatly placed in the gift box and as I take it out, I get a full view of the master piece. It looks like it was specially tailored for me. Who did this ?

I grab the piece of paper and slowly read the words that are written on it with an elegant writing that I immediately recognise.

I hope you like my present sweetheart. I can't wait to see you wearing it tomorrow at the ball. Take good care of you princess.

J.

A/N: Did you think that's it was all a dream at the beginning ? That Jace never actually showed up ? That maybe she imagined everything ?

I love Ethan's secret relationship, it gives a little spice to the story knowing that the brothers don't know about that ! He approves of Jace too ! What a good brother, I love him, I swear.