009 | the passengers

ix

ix. I'll pull up each of our anchors
so we can get lost you and me

WHEN MANDO WALKED INTO THE cantina, carrying everything he had gotten on his back, Allana instantly jumped up.

She wished she could have gone with him bur she probably would have just hindered his mission for the Mandalorian.

"You finally found a Mandalorian .and ya killed him?" Peli asked as she saw the armour he was carrying.

"He wasn't mandalorian, I bought his armour off of him though," he explained, and it made sense why he was carrying all this junk.

"What'd that set you back?" Allana questioned, leaning against her hand as she looked up at him.

"Killed the Krayt dragon for him," he said, and they both looked at him confused and shocked.

"Oh, is that all?" Peli said jokingly, looking back down at her drink.

"He was my last lead on finding other mandalorians," he explained, almost sounding defeated.

She knew how much he wanted to help find the child's family and he thought that the only way to do that was to fin other Mandalorians.

Allana looked up at him then looked down at the child who was tucked inbetween her and Peli fo make sure nobody saw it.

"You might be in luck, my friend says he can connect you with someone who can help," she said, gesturing to the giant insect she was paying sabaac with, "If you cover his round,"

"What's the bet?" He asked, eyeing the game between the two of them.

"500," Peli said suddenly, and Allana looked over her. That wasn't the stakes of the game, and she knew it.

"That a high stakes game," Mando said, and Peli shrugged her shoulders and he handed over the money to the insect.

Peli won the hand, cheering and gloating for a second before remembering that she had promised Mando information.

"All right, he says the contact will rendezvous at the hangar," she explained, "They'll tell you where to find some Mandalorians,"

They walked back to the hangar, Allana asking hundreds of questions about the Krayt dragon and he indulged her, explaining how he managed to defeat it.

Peli looked over at the three of them, Allana holding the child in her arms, eyes wide as Mando explained the way the town banded together to save it.

She smiled to herself, noticing the way that her daughter fit right into the little family, almost like she was meant to be there.

When she had gotten back from Nevarro, Allana had told her about her parents being from Dathomir, and after everything, Peli just wanted her to feel like she had a family.

As the dragon meat that the Mandalorian had brought back roasted on a spit, they made conversation as they talked about what had been going on since they last saw one another.

Peli had never seen her daughter so happy around a man before, and she knew that one day, Allana was going to leave with the Mandalorian, even if they didn't know it yet.

"So, how's your ribs?" He asked and she shrugged her shoulders.

He had been worried about her since he had seen her being all bur dragged away by Cara in those tunnels when he never thought he'd see her again.

"That was my last session, I punctured my lung too, so that's why it took so long," she explained trying to act nonchalant about if.

He narrowed his eyes at her from beneath his helmet. The bacta should have healed that in two sessions at the most, and that should have been done in a day.

"I'm glad you're okay," he said despite the fact that he thought something else was going on.

"And what about you? You were real beat up back in Nevarro," she asked.

She had been worried about him for weeks, and now that he was here again, she wanted to make sure that he was really okay.

"I've suffered worse," he said nonchalantly, and she shook her head,

"Done overcook it treadwell, I like it medium rare," her mother said, breaking the silence as she walked over to the two of them.

"Here's the deal. A mandalorian covert is close. It's in this sector, one system trailing,"

"Are they the ones who left Nevarro?" Allana questioned, remembering how distraught Mando had been when the clan had been killed

"Don't know, all I know is that the contact will lead you to them," Peli said with a shrug of her shoulder.

"How much will it cost," Mando questioned, feeling like there was more for this than she was letting on.

"It free, except for the finders fee, of course," Peli explained, pausing as she tried to find the best way to say it, "However, thre is one small sank. The contact wants passage to the system,"

"Do you vouch for them?" Mando asked as he thought about it.

It was dangerous for him to go without the hyerdrive, but if there was some suspicious fugitive with him, he knew if he got pulled over, then it would be bad.

"On my life," Peli said, placing a hand over her heart, "And, no hyperdrive,"

"No deal, moving fast is the only thing keeping me safe," Mando said, standing up defensively.

"These are mitigating circumstances," peli explained as a frog lady vame in through the door.

They all looked at her as she stood at the doorway, carrying something on her back as she looked at the group.

"What's the cargo?" Allana questioned, looking at this woman.

"It's he spawn. She needs the eggs fertilized by the equinox, or her line will end. If you jump to hyperspace, they'll die," Peli explained.

"Is she sure there are mandalorians thee?" Mando asked, actually considering taking her.

Peli turned to the woman, shaking her head as she started to talk to the lady in frog. They had a quick conversation, and Allana wondered when her mother learnt this language. 

Peli turned back to them, "She said her husband has seen them," she stated.

"Do you know the husband?" Allana asked, not having ever seen this frog lady before in her life.

"No, I met her ten minutes ago," Peli stated, and Allana looked at her in shock, eyes wide.

"I thought you said you'd vouch for her on your life," Mando stated, just a furious as Allana was about if.

"What can I say, I'm an excellent judge of character," she said, shrugging her shoulders.

Mando knew that this was the only way he was ever going to see any other Mandalorians, so he sighed, nodding his head as he looked at the woman.

"Fine, tell her to get ready," Mando said and Peli turned to talk to the lady and he looked at Allana, "You want to come with me?"

She shook her head, "I can't right now, but when you're done with this, I'd like to see you again," she said, trying to hide the blush on her cheeks.

"Yeah, this is my favourite mechanics shop so, I'll definitely be coming back," he said before walking onto the ship with the child.

Allana ignored the pained feeling in her chest as he walked away into the ship, leaving her behind. The child waved goodbye and she smiled as she waved back.

1208 words