027 | the foundling

xxvii

xxvii. and will you still
want me when I'm nothing new

ALLANA HAD SPENT NEARLY A WEEK with the group, watching them train and being allowed to eat and sleep in thir homes but she didn't fit in.

Now she sat on the beach with Grogu, entertaining him whilst the other foundling trained.

She smiled, watching as his little green hands reached out for some rocks, trying to grasp them and pull them out.

Din watched from the other side of the beach where he stood with Bo-Katan and when he saw her playing ith Grogu, he smiled to himself, thinking about what she'd be like with a family.

He had been thinking about that more often lately, about finally asking her about the riduurok, about staying with him in the covert, about the future.

Allana looked back, noticing Din was staring at them and she smiled at him, waving and he waved back before gesturing them to come over.

"Put down the rocks kiddo, its time you learn with the other foundling," she said and he looked back at her a sad look on his face.

She picked him up, watching as the rock fell from his hand and scuttered away. He cooed sadly in her arms, "Playtimes over buddy,"

She walked over to Din, feeling his hand on her shoulder as he reached rhe other hand out to brush gently across Grogus forehead, the child laughing to himself.

Bo watched the three of them, a little family in the making as Grogu reached his hands out for Din, the man taking him and holding him in his arms. She smiled at the three, glad they were happy.

"Next challenger," Din called out, setting Grogu down in the sand.

Allana looked at him, brows furrowed in worry "Are you sure this is a good idea Din?" She questioned.

"If he is ever to rise from foundling to apprentice, he must learn," he explained and she nodded, watching as he called over a judge.

The man walked over, looking at Grogu and shaking his head, "He is too small,"

"I am his ward, proceed," Din said and she could almost tell how hesitant the Mandalorian judge was but he was going to go through with it

"What weapon?" The judge questioned.

"Let the challenger decide," Din said, looking at the challenger who just so happened to be Paz Vizslas son. He chose darts and the judge went off to get them.