012 | the jedi

xii

xii. please don't become a stranger who's laugh I would recognise anywhere

THERE WAS A COMFORTABLE SILENCE as they sat in the cockpit, landing on the desolate planet that was Corvus.

Once they landed, they all got up, ready to leave when Mando walked to the sleeping Chambers, "I need to fix the heaters downstairs," Mando said and she followed him down the ladder, the child in her arms.

"Did Greefs men not do that?" She questioned when they reached the panel.

"Clearly not, and I don't want this kid catching a cold," he said, focusing on opening the panel up.

"You know that's not how colds are caught," she said, her mind elsewhere.

As she looked at him, the feeling finally set in and she realised that she cared about him as more than a friend. That's why she was worried about him all the time.

She didn't know what set it off, maybe the way he cared so deeply about the child or the way his voice sounded as he said it.

"Lets try getting him in there," Mando said, the suggestion breaking her out of her trance.

"Put the kid in there?" She questioned, shrugging as she placed him in, watching him crawl down, "He seems happy.

The child smiled to himself, giggling as he started to play with the ires that were poking out.

"Kiddo, stop playing," Mando said, sighing as he second guessed his decision, "We need the red wire,"

"You're gonna need to plug the red wires where the blue wire goes," she said, getting frustrated when he couldn't connect them.

She groaned in annoyance and Mando laughed at her reaction, a deep belly laugh that showed just how happy he was with his little family. She turned to look back at him, a smile on her face.

"What?" He asked, the remnants of a laugh still coming out.

"I don't think I've ever heard you laugh before," she said almost incredulously, a smile still on her face as she forgot about her frustrations

"You haven't?" He questioned, tilting his head to the side as he looked at her.

"No," she said, turning around to get the kid out, "It was pretty though,"

He kept staring at her, his face sinking in shock and his heart pounding in his chest. He had never had someone say something like that before and he didn't understand why his heart was fluttering so much.