007 | the battle

vii

vii. the air was cold but something
bout it felt like home somehow

AFTER MANDO HAD GAINED THE ability to walk again as the bacta infusion set in, he followed a set of tracks where there was a pile of mandalorian helmets on the floor.

They'd killed his creed. He sank to his knees in front of it, Allana crouching down next to him, not sure of what to say.

"You should go Allana, take the ship and get out of here. I can't leave now," he said before turning to Greef, yelling, "Did you do this? Did you?"

"It was not his fault," a woman's voice said, and they turned to see another mandalorian at the end of the tunnel, "We revealed ourselves. We knew what could happen if we left the covert. It was the imperials,"

He had a conversation with her, a strange pang of jealousy in Allana as he asked her to come with him. But she brushed it off, following them to an armoury room.

"The child is part of an order of sorcereors called Jedi who fought with the powers you describe," she said, "it is a foundling, by creed it is in your care,"

"You wish me to train this thing?" He asked, looking at it.

Allana thought of the Jedi. She knew one once, Luke Skywalker, but she hadn't contacted in years and had no idea where to find him.

"No, you must return it to your kind, you must determine where," she explained, making something out of beskar.

"You wish me to search across the galaxy for the home of this thing and deliver it to enemy sorcerers?" Mando asked, and she nodded her head.

"If you follow the next tunnel, it will take you to the lava flats. You must go Mandalorian. By creed, until it is of age or reunited with its own kind, you are its father," the armourer explained, "You have earned your signet,"

She began to drill something into his shoulder, "You are a clan of two, but I'm sure you'll have more," she said, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

There was a large crash, and that was their time to leave. They heard footsteps and began to run, but now Mando had been gifted a jet pack, and they made their escape.

They made it to the lava stream, but the boat seemed old, and so they pushed it, trying to get it downstream. She still held the child, the navigator droid leading them down the river.

It began rowing them down the river through a sea of molten lava. Allana still held the child, having promised to protect it against any means.

They saw the light at the end of the tunnel, but they also saw the stormtroopers at the mouth of the tunnel.

"There are too many," Mando said, using his heat signatures to be able to see the platoon of them clearer.

They were all waiting for them at the end of the tunnel, and Allana knew that the odds weren't great. They weren't going to make it out of here.

"What are you suggesting because I can't give in, me and I can't surrender, and they will kill the child," Allana said, her voice unsteady.

Over the last two weeks, she had begun to care for the child, and she wasn't going to let anything happen to it now, not after everything.

"I will eliminate the enemy, and you can escape, I can self destruction, I am not permitted to be captured," IG-11 explained.

Everyone was silent for a second as they realised what he meant. He wa going to self-destruct and save them, sacrificing himself.

"You can't leave. We need you," Mando explained.

"You are sad. I have analysed your voice, I can also hear your heart rate and earlier whe-" it began but Mando cut it off, having a good idea where it would lead to, "Goodbye child,"

IG-11 stepped into the lava, walking through and reaching the stormtroopers, and when it reached the end, it self destructed, killing them all.

Allana shielded the child from it as they all sailed through the tunnel, safe at last. Until a ship flew in, Moff Gideon in it.

All of them reached down, grabbing their blasters and trying to shoot it out of the sky, but it was too fast.

Mando put the jet pack on, flying up into the air without any formal training and grabbing onto it with his grappling hook. He began trying to shoot through, and all they could do was watch as he tried to blow it up.

It came crashing down, Mando flying back down. Allana rushed over, unsure what to do. She held the child out to him with an awkward smile, and he took it, bowing his head in a silent thank you.

"That was impressive, Mando, very impressive," Greef said, walking over with the rest of the group.

When Allana asked them what they were going to do now, Greef and Cara explained that they had decided to stay, making the planet a respectable place to live and create as a home.

"You can stay as well, Allana. we need some brilliant minds like you here," he suggested.

She thought about it for a second, leaving her life behind again for the greater good, but something just didn't feel right.

"I need to go home, my mum will he needing me. But it was lovely to meet you," she said to greef before turning to Cara.

"Bye Cara," she said, pulling the other girl into a hug, "Thank you for what you did for the rebellion, I'm not sure anyone officially thanked you,"

That made Cara smile. She never eas recognised for everything that she did, and although she didn't do it for the praise, it was nice to heat

"Thank you, Allana," she said, "I hope that whatever is going on between you and Mando works out,"

She smiled as she pulled away, walking over to Mando. "You gonna give me a lift home, Mando?" She asked, "No detours this time,"

"Hold on, Lana," he said, wrapping wrapping arm around her waist and with her in one hand and the child in the other. He used his jet pack to fly back to the ship.

She screamed, holding on tighter until they made it to the ship, her laughing at how insane that journey was.

She sat down in the passengers seat of the Razor Crest, the child sitting on her lap. "What's he doing there?" He asked, seeing the child fiddling with the necklace around her neck.

When he noticed it was his clan signet around her neck, he froze slightly, heart pounding in his chest as he leaned forward, taking it in his hands, "I didn't think I'd see this again," he whispered.

"You can have it back, I just wanted to keep it safe, so," she said, preparing to take it off, but he grabbed her hand, stopping her.

"No, it looks good on you, you can hang onto it," he said, and she smiled, a blush rising to her cheeks

Allana looked into the distance, ready to head back home. Bur after the journey she had had, she wasn't sure what home meant.

1303 words