008 | the marshal

viii

viii. you wouldn't be the first
renegade to need someone

IT HAD BEEN 2 WEEKS SINCE THE chaotic meeting had happened, her and Mando staying in contact.

She had come home after Nevarro, limping off of Mandos ship into her mother's arms and he left nearly an hour afterwards, wanting to make sure she was okay bur also needing to take the child to his people.

She had missed Mando. She hadn't said s real goodbye because she was fast asleep when he left, knocked out by the bacta tablets to heal her.

So when her and her mum were working on a ship and they saw the Razor Crest landing in their space, her heart sped up.

Peli noticed it instantly, the slight glow in her daughters eyes and the way she smiled when she saw it land. She had thought Allana was in love with Luke back in the day, but this was completely different. She seemed upbeat, full of joy.

He walked out, Allana turning to the droids as they picked up his stuff, "Hey, you know Mando doesn't like droids, don't ruin this," she said, shooing them off before turning to him.

He stood frozen at the edge of the ramp, looking at her. She was wearing a leather jacket, her hair tied into two braids and he had never thought he'd see a girl and be lost for words.

The one thing he really noticed was the necklace, his creed was resting around her neck and at that moment, he completely froze, glad he had the helmet on because his face had gone red and his mouth was ajar.

"Hey Mando," she said, the sweet tone of her voice seeming to wake him from whatever trance he was in.

"Hi. You may as well let them at it, the Crest needs a good once over," he said and she nodded, gesturing for them to go.

She always wondered why he never liked droids touching hi ship but she always let the matter slide, happy to work on it herself.

"Oh, so he likes droids now. Well, you heard him, give it a once over," Peli said, ushering them away as they picked up their tool boxes.

Mando turned around, the child in the sling around his waist and both of the girls melted on the spot.

The child giggled, holding its little arms out as if trying to reach for Allana after their time apart.

She had missed the child so much since they last saw each other, constantly wondering if him and Mando were safe but she knew that they could both handle themselves. 

"This little thing has had me worried sick," Peli said as she pulled it out of the satchel, "Looks like it remembers me. How much do you want for it? Just kidding. But not really,"

Allana chuckled as she saw her mother fuss over the child, she was just about to talk to Mando when she heard a large hiss of air, turning to see one of the droids had set off a valve.

"Hey!" She yelled out, shaking her head, "Watch what you're doing there, or I'll turn you into scrap parts d'ya hear me?"

Peli chuckled to herself, still obsessed with the child but also watching as her daughter interact with the Mandalorian.

"What uh, what you doin here then Mando?" Allana asked, a subtle smile on her face.

"I'm here on business, I need your help," he stated and she nodded.

She was happy to help. Ever since the war ended, she felt a bit our of place and that she needed something exciting to do. But when she met Mando all that time ago, it was like all that adrenaline was back.

Peli nodded, "Care for me to watch this critter while you and Lana seek out adventure?" She asked.

He nodded and Allana turned to Mando, "So, what's the mission about?" She asked

"You know I've been quested to bring this one back to its kind, a Mandalorian Armorer had sent me on my path, if I can locate another of my kind than I can chart a path through the network of coverts," he explained.

"I know all that, but why are you here?" She asked, trying not to sound like she didn't want him around.

"I thought you and your mother have lots of connections, you may know someone," He stated.

Another reason why he had come here was to see her again because even though they'd gone their separate ways, he always thought what would have happened if she would have stayed.

Peli shook her head, "You've been the only Mando here for years from what I can tell," she explained.

"Last time we had one was Boba Fett but he died in a sarlac pit, trust me, I was there" Allana explained, remembering the adventures she had with Luke.

She wasn't involved in many towards the end. That was the last time she saw Luke until the opening of the New Republic, she had stayed on Tattoine and he left to fight Darth Vader.

"Where is Mos Pelgo, I'm told there's one there?" Mando asked, talking directly to Allana now, something Peli noticed.

"I haven't heard that name in a while," Peli stated, looking into the distance.

"It's not on any maps because it was wiped out by bandits. A tusken raiders tribe was slaughtered nearby by a jedi years ago. Once the empire fell, it was a free for all," Allana explained.

"Can you tell me where it used to be?" He asked.

"R-5, bring for map of tattoine. You're so slow," Peli said to the droids, and it sped over, beeping before it brang up a map.

"This is before the war, you've got Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, and around this region is Mos Pelgo," Allana explained, she had memorised the maps and knew exactly where to go, "Its there, its an old mining settlement,"

"You still have that speeder bike?" He asked and Allana nodded, "You gonna come with me?"

"I can't, bacta tank session. I've broken my ribs so," she explained and now it made sense as to why she has stumbled earlier.

But it also made him curious. He thought that she had broken her ribs when they were in Nevarro but she wouldn't still be doinf bacta sessions if it was the same injury.

He shook off his suspicions about hr injury and instead smiled, even though he knew she couldn't see it.

"I'll be back for you," he said and she chuckled, nodding her head.

"I'll walk you to the Speeders," she said and he followed after her, leaving Grogu in Pelis arms as he knew that he'd be safe there.

Peli watched as the two walked away, deep in conversation. There was something about them that you didn't see often, a real connection.

1273 words