In Tribute to the Winter Olympics (Today? Maybe, Maybe Not)

This month of this year, the 2022 Winter Olympics is currently happening now back in China, and my interest in the Olympics (and not the sports they're playing) made me think of posting my fanart of their mascots, both Summer and Winter, of their respective years.

I know it's not all just sun and snow and sporting events that happens in that four-year interval on each Summer and Winter editions, but the marketing and the cultural influence of these events has peaked my interest to just make some drawings about them.

And it's good too, since I kinda know what they are and what event they're on, so why not show the pictures and some facts and see if you liked it very much?

***

Picture 1: "The Latest Five"

That was made before the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics even happened, yet they released their own mascot for that event anyway (at the time I made this), his name being Miraitowa, a Japanese term for "eternal future"; it's an archaic term for one tha...

That was made before the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics even happened, yet they released their own mascot for that event anyway (at the time I made this), his name being Miraitowa, a Japanese term for "eternal future"; it's an archaic term for one that connects both the traditional past and the innovative, advanced future of Japan. (He was the one on the red circle.)

Gonna say, COVID made it postponed for a whole year (first time in Olympic history), so it was held instead in 2021 between July and August. At least they made it a bit earlier for me to witness the events... except that the crowds are limited and their opening ceremony turned pretty b o r i n g.

About the photo; this shows the five latest Olympic Mascots at the time this fanart is made. The circles they're in kinda looked like the Olympic logo upon looking closely.

Blue circle - Bely Mishka (Polar Bear) One of the three mascots of Sochi 2014 (Winter) in southwest Russia. He was one of the mascots being voted under popular vote, asides a snow hare and a jaguar.

Yellow circle - Vinicius You may have known him from "Heroes of My Universe: United", but he's actually real; he was the mascot of Rio 2016 (Summer). He was named after a popular Brazilian singer that sung a famous song "Girl from Ipanema", and created based on all the local birds, cats and monkeys around Brazil and its Amazon Jungle.

Black circle - Soohorang The white tiger mascot was relevant to Pyeongchang 2018 (Winter), and was inspired based on a popular Korean legend. Besides, tigers are their favorite animals, which kinda explains why it's chosen to be a mascot choice in South Korea, if I say so myself.

Green circle - Wenlock He was an alien-like mascot with a camera for an eye; the mascot for London 2012 (Summer). According to my research, he was made out of the remaining molten metal that was used before on constructing the stadium being used for the Games. Along with his Paralympic counterpart Mandeville, they were made alive under a magical rainbow and became a known symbol of strength, unity and peace for all that attended that event. The top of his head was shaped like the stadium where their Olympics was held, and was named after a village in England where the Olympics was still growing in popularity. His Paralympic counterpart was named after a man who helped spread the Games to the UK.