Surprising how I can yell at a time like this. Anyone else probably would've given up or burst into tears and let him do what he wanted. Not me. I'm just a dummy like that.

"Don't raise your voice at me!" he yelled back.

            Who the hell does he think he is? He really needed to get over himself. A movement out the door caught my attention. She looked like she was getting ready to come in and attack him.

"Now—" he said once regaining his composure. "Let's get you dressed."

            He began tugging at my shirt and that's when the girl hiding behind the door had had enough. She swiftly yet quietly entered the room and planted a kick right on the side of Ted's head. He toppled to the ground instantly.

"Come on," she said and stretched out her hand to help me up.

"But I can't walk," I whimpered.

"Here's some motivation then: We have about twenty seconds before he gets up so either try and run or I'll make you," she said in a rush.

            She didn't look like she was trying to be mean; she was just trying to get us out of there as quickly as possible.

            By the time I thought about what she had just said Ted was beginning to come out of his stunned state. The red-headed girl kicked him twice in the ribs and stuck out her hand to me once again. This time I didn't hesitate to take it.

            She helped me up but all I could do was stand rooted to the same spot hanging on to the bed post.

"Please try," she pleaded.

"I'm scared." I was close to tears.

"So am I but I can't leave you here."

            Her comment seemed sincere. Even though she held herself as if nothing could scare her, the look in her blue-green eyes said otherwise. The look in them was haunted, like after you see something that you feel like you can never un-see.

            I gathered up all the strength I had left and took that one step of faith.

"Great, now if you can do that about ten times faster it'd be amazing," said the girl with the haunted eyes.

"What's your name anyways?" I asked.

"Ava," she replied.

            Ava threw a few uneasy glances in Ted's direction where he lay crumpled on the floor.

"Could you move a little faster please?"

"I'm trying," I said snippily. This was the first time I was on feet in over a month and Ava wasn't making this easy.

            I took a few more steps towards the door while Ava hastily gathered up things she thought I would need. By the time I made it to the door Ava had packed a small duffel bag with clothes and other necessities.

            I smiled as I remembered that was the duffel bag my dad bought me for cheerleading when I was seven years old.

"Back to reality princess!" snapped Ava. I was apparently still staring where she once stood with my duffel bag.

"Oh sorry," I replied.

            Ava then noticed I was barefoot and grabbed a pair of shoes lying on the floor and handed them to me.

"You can put them on once we get downstairs."

            Ava was out the door before I could say anything. I guess she wanted to get down the stairs first.