Clara

I'm trying to be excited for my birthday dinner, I really am, but all I can feel is the echo of Kit's anxiety. I want to call it off, more than anything, rather than put him through what's he's feeling now.

It makes me feel sick to my stomach, the fear and the uncertainty. But I know I can't.

In the relatively short time I've known Kit, I've learnt that he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do. He makes compromises, he tries new things, but ultimately, if he doesn't want to do something, then he won't. I check my phone for what seems like the thousandth time this hour and bite my lip.

Nothing. I can only assume that means that he's still coming.

I close my eyes, turning to the mirror and taking several calming breaths. I smooth my hair and tug my dress down a little, turning to look at my reflection.

I'm wearing a little black satin dress. It has a square neck and ends mid-thigh. Ordinarily I'd say I look nice, but nice doesn't seem good enough. I add some silver dangly earrings, spritz a bit of perfume on and slip into some little black heels to finish the picture.

The doorbell rings and I race down the stairs, needing to beat my parents to the door. I nearly stumble more than once, but don't care because I'm here first.

I swing the door open and momentarily wish I'd taken just a second to smooth down my hair again.

Kit looks downright gorgeous, outwardly appearing cool and confident as his expression shows absolutely nothing at all. As soon as he sees me though, he smiles and his whole face changes into that of the boy I...

"Hey birthday girl." He says quietly, stepping in and pulling me close.

I hug him tight, taking Kia's approach and trying to squeeze all of the cow out of him...or something along those lines.

He laughs slightly and loosens my arms.

"If I need to make a quick escape later, you can choke me then." He whispers and I blush.

"Sorry." I mumble, stepping back and ushering him in.

He puts down the bag he's carrying and takes off his coat, hanging it up next to the door. He then fishes out a bouquet of sunflowers and hands them to me.

"For my sunshine." He says almost bashfully, tucking my hair behind my ear and I beam, taking them in my hands and pottering into the kitchen to pop them in a vase.

My mum and dad are shuffling about in the living room, clearly giving us a minute and I thank every deity in the sky. I shoot back into the hallway as fast as I can and take Kit's hand in mine, glancing over my shoulder to ensure we're still alone.

"Are you okay?" I breathe quietly, watching his expression closely.

"I'm um, I'm actually good," He says with an easy smile. It doesn't quite meet his eyes, but I relax somewhat.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his smile lopsided as though he's trying not to laugh at me.

I exhale deeply, my forehead dropping to lean against his chest as he strokes my hair.

"I don't think I realised how nervous I would be. I'm sorry, I'm just thinking about them and then worrying about you and..." I trail off as Kit frowns.

"Ah, now that's not right. I don't want you to worry about me. I've faced much scarier prospects than meeting your parents. If I can survive meeting you, really I can do anything. Today is your birthday, my love, so don't worry about anything other than enjoying yourself." He says gently, pressing kisses against my head periodically.