Kit

Kia's winter dance recital is tonight and she's been preparing for it all week. In fact I've barely seen her. She's been at dress rehearsals all morning and we're due to leave to go and take our seats any moment.

I adjust my bowtie for the seventh time and take a step back to look at myself. I fidget restlessly in front of my reflection.

In a moment of pure adoration, panic and sleep deprivation I had gone online last night and bought a bouquet of flowers for Clara, to be delivered to the stage door this evening. I was trying to be romantic but instead, I'm just stupid.

I can't for the life of me remember what I requested they write on the stupid card and now I'm panicking. I take a deep breath and shake my head, running a hand through my hair and essentially ruining it.

"Kit! Come on, we're going to be late!" My mums yells and I jog down the stairs to join them in the car.

I anxiously twist my fingers, not used to seeing Clara dance twice in one year. I know that tonight will be absolutely breath-taking and I wish I could relax to enjoy it.

What if she doesn't even like flowers?

I groan quietly and exit the car, following my parents into the theatre. We take our seats and I settle down, smiling at the view that we have of the stage.

The lights dim and the performance begins and almost immediately my heart stops. There she is, looking so beautiful it hurts, doing what she does best in the whole world and I can't tear my eyes away even if I wanted to.

Her partner, the nutcracker, is a bit handsy and I try to appreciate the skilful partnership they have rather than the fact that he's got his hands on my girl. I follow her through the story, absolutely captivated.

The interval comes around far too quickly and I restlessly wait for the second half to begin.

"Kit, are you okay?" My mum asks, her brows creasing in concern and I smile half-heartedly.

"I'm fine, just really need the loo." I lie, quickly bolting towards the bathroom. I hide there for five minutes, trying to chill out before going to join them again.

The second half of the ballet is even more beautiful and I appreciate every single detail of the production, not that any of them have a thing on Clara. I watch Kia's dance avidly, happy to see her so happy.

The ending though, that truly breaks my heart. Clara, now in a beautifully detailed tutu, moves so effortlessly, so enchantingly that I fall in love with her all over again. The music is hauntingly bewitching and I decide that these will be the next pieces I learn to play, if only to relive this moment again and again.

As the production comes to an end my heart feels heavy and as they take their bows, I stand to applaud them. We slowly exit the theatre and move towards the back entrance to await Kia.

We chat about the performance to pass the time and eventually dancers come swarming out of the doors, all of them looking tired and ecstatic.

I spot Kia and she wanders over with a tired grin, falling into my embrace.

"Well done, you did amazingly." I compliment and she smiles wildly.

"Thanks Kit, and don't you look smart?" She says with a cheeky raised eyebrow. I roll my eyes, glancing up when I spot Clara coming through the doors.

She still looks just as beautiful, and in her arms is a bouquet of deep red and white frilly flowers. Carnations, I remember suddenly.

She moves to her parents and they gesture towards her flowers. She blushes, shrugging her shoulders as she smiles softly.

I snap back to reality and turn reluctantly to follow my family, wishing I had the courage to tell her just how unforgettable she is, or how this evening will haunt me until the end of time. Maybe it's best that I am a coward, that conversation would be pretty intense.

We get in the car and my phone buzzes in my pocket. I fish it out and find a text from Kia.

I look over to her and she smiles slyly.

Nice touch with the flowers, I'm assuming that was you?

I frown questioningly and her eyes widen in false alarm. I snigger at her response and type out a reply.

A scatty, last minute decision. What did I write on the card?

Kia types for a moment as I anxiously wait.

Clara,

Good luck this evening. I know you will be utterly enchanting.

Affectionately yours,

I stare at the text blankly before shoving my head in my hands.

I didn't sign it off with anything?

I text back and Kia shakes her head, silently laughing at me. I sigh heavily, knowing it could be worse and yet significantly better.

My phone vibrates again and I raise my head to look at it.

By the way, where are my flowers arsehole?

I chuckle and nod slightly, making a mental note that next time I buy my soulmate flowers, I should also buy my sister flowers.

We get home and go our separate ways to bed. I tug my bowtie off and flop onto my bed, smiling at the ceiling as I imagine Clara's face when she received her flowers. I wonder if she liked them.

My phone buzzes and I glance down, not quite believing what I see.

I open up the text and gaze at the picture, Clara's beautiful face smiling widely as she holds her flowers. She's in her final costume and she looks angelic. I quietly thank my sister for snapping the moment and save the picture as my background image without a second thought.

I gaze at her until I fall asleep.