Kit

My parents clatter down the stairs, the wheeled suitcases following them. I watch them manoeuvre them through the hall, trying to stay out of their way.

"Well, have fun while we're gone kiddos, and try not to wreck the place." Mum says and I nod whilst Kia sighs. I hug my mum for a moment, pulling away a little quickly but she just smiles at me. She pecks Kia on the cheeks and opens the door, rummaging through her handbag.

My dad wheels the cases out, huffing and puffing all the while.

"So, Kia, when are your friends arriving?" Mum asks and I feel my face pale in despair.

"Friends?" I question in complete horror.

"Don't tell me you forgot, Kia's having some friends round for a sleepover this evening." Mum explains and I glance at Kia's wicked expression. There goes my relaxing weekend plans. There goes the understanding of relaxation for the next 24 hours.

"They'll be here around 7." Kia says, glancing at me as I moan quietly.

"There's money on the counter for pizza or whatever you want to order, remember to share it with your brother and for heaven's sake try not to torture him too much." My mum instructs, pulling me down lightly to peck my forehead.

Kia laughs but salutes her, agreeing to her terms.

As soon as the front door closes I spring into action, collecting drinks, snacks and any other worldly possessions so that I can scuttle away to the safety of my room and stay there. Possibly for the rest of time.

"You're such a drama queen, Kit." Kia laughs, watching me panic as a mini roll slides from my grasp and onto the floor.

I stand up straight, watching her with narrowed eyes.

"This is not a drill, this is a straight up nightmare and I am not overreacting!" I exclaim, turning towards the stairs. I pause for a second before running back to collect the fallen mini roll.

I set up for the evening, glad that at least I can be in my room. My room is my sanctuary from the rest of the world, my safe place. I remember my phone, which is still in my school bag and jog downstairs to get it.

I spot my bag laying against the kitchen table and grab it, rummaging through it. I slide out my algebra homework, mentally making a note to get it done this evening. I shove it in my mouth, needing both my hands to rake through the crap in my bag.

"Ah ha!" I say, badly muffled through my algebra homework as I find my phone.

"You know, you could just use the table instead of your mouth." Kia says, and to my horror, a stranger stands next to her. She smiles timidly, giving a slight wave and I freeze to my spot.

I hadn't heard the doorbell and so naturally, had assumed that we were still alone.

I slowly remove my homework from my mouth and clear my throat, my eyes instantly diverted to anywhere but them. I push my bag to the floor and gently excuse myself from the kitchen before sprinting towards my room.

I can hear laughter following me from downstairs, and I know I shouldn't take it to heart. It was probably an amusing scene to witness but all I feel is embarrassed. I straighten out my black t-shirt, feeling very claustrophobic, close my eyes and flop onto my bed with a moan.

The doorbell rings not too long later and I can hear more and more excited voices. I need something to drown them all out and I peek at my piano in the corner, more than happy to play it in my time of need.

I sit at the stool and feel instantly calmer. My fingers run along the keys gently, not playing anything in particular. But before long, my fingers find an old, familiar tune. Something I had heard on the radio once that was so beautiful I had to learn it simply so I could hear it again. It reminds me of Clara, as all beautiful things do and I idly wonder if one of the voices downstairs belongs to her.