Clara

I'm smiling all the way home and it seems that nothing can ruin my good mood until I walk through my front door and the atmosphere hits me. My mum and dad are stood in the kitchen, speaking in hushed voices. My dad's voice is soothing whereas my mum's is pure distress.

I walk into the kitchen slowly and they both stop talking, turning to look at me with forced smiles. My mum has a letter in hand which she slowly slides behind her back.

"What's wrong?" I ask quietly, setting down my violin.

"Nothing's wrong, sweetheart." My mum says gently. I glance at my dad and he sighs.

"Money's just a bit tight, my love." My dad admits. My mum glances back at him with a frown and he shrugs in response.

"Because of school?" I ask timidly and he nods sadly.

"Don't worry my love, we'll find a way to afford it." My mum chirps and my heart sinks.

I fidget with my fingers, knowing that if I don't say anything now, I'll never be able to.

"I don't like it there. I don't fit in, I don't have any friends and it's stressing you guys out. I want to go to an ordinary college, like Fairview. All of my dance friends go there and they do all the same courses." I blurt, watching my mum's expression.

She looks taken aback and a little disappointed.

"Clara, why didn't you tell us?" She asks, drifting towards me and engulfing me in a comforting cuddle.

"Because it's a great school and you worked so hard to get me a place there." I mumble into her neck.

My dad is silent and as I glance over at him, I recognise a pensive look on his face.

"We've already paid for the Autumn term, but in December, we'll have a look at getting you transferred to Fairview." He says firmly and I beam.

"Thank you! I have to go and tell Kia!" I exclaim, grabbing my phone from the counter and bounding up the stairs to my room.

I close the door and breathlessly dial Kia's number, pacing back and forth as the line rings.

"Hey Clara, what's up?" She answers carelessly.

"Guess what!" I blurt, flinging myself down onto my bed.

"What?" She asks tentatively.

"I might be transferring to your college in January!" I squeal, no longer being able to contain my excitement.

"Oh my god, that's such good news! Clara, I can't believe it?! Why are you transferring?" She asks. I decide to gloss over my families money concerns and instead tell her about my friend woes. Or lack of friend woes.

"That's amazing, Clara! Kit will be so happy too." She gushes and I pause, frowning to myself.

"Why would your brother care?" I ask, my heart fluttering a little in my chest.

"Oh, he'll just be happy for me. He knows your my best friend." She states and I deflate a little.

"Yeah, it'll be so nice to go to college with you guys." I murmur and Saskia agrees.

"I have to go help my brother with dinner, but thanks for calling! It's so exciting, I can't wait till January!" Saskia says.

Once she's rung off, I sit on my bed clutching my phone with a small, content smile on my face.

For the first time, I'm actually excited about the thought of college.