Clara

The winter concert is always a lot of fun, but this year it's even better. Kia and I spend the whole bus ride chatting and gossiping and I find that I can't wait to get there.

We arrive about half an hour later and disembark from the bus, all of us entering into the little tent that's been set up. All of us have to haul our instruments around with us, with the exception of Kit and Ollie who don't have to. We unpack our things and get into position, each of us chattering and practicing little pieces here and there as we wait for our audience.

I sit next to Phoebe as usual and we gently pluck our strings like little guitars.

The tent is set up with fairy lights and mistletoe decorations and I smile at the thought that's been put into it. I glance round and watch Kit set up, getting his sheet music out and settling himself on the stool as he chats with Ollie next to him.

He's wearing a lovely ice blue shirt that makes him even more striking.

Phoebe nudges me and I turn around quickly, ignoring her little smirk. She knows just how frequently I turn to look at the piano during rehearsals but has been good enough not to mention it.

People take their places on chairs in front of us and I find that we've attracted quite a large crowd this year. Brian taps his baton on the edge of a table and everyone falls into silence. He clears his throat and begins.

The music is just the same as always. Everybody coming together to perform harmonious music, but as always the star of the show is Kit.

I envy how easily and fluidly he plays, leading us all without anyone noticing and never placing a finger wrong. I ache to look round and watch him but I don't, knowing that this isn't rehearsal and it won't go unseen.

By the time we finish I'm exhausted but I know that we played the best we ever have. Brian looks ecstatic in his little tweed suit and I even spot Kia in the crowd, standing and waving like crazy.

I grin at her, waving back as she whistles.

We stand up and bow, packing away our instruments. Lots of families are here and people flood into the audience to say hello to their friends and family. My mum and dad couldn't make it this year so I make my way to Kia instead.

I pause for a moment as I realise that Kit has beaten me to it. Kia's got him wrapped in a hug and he gently rests his chin on her head as he says something to her. I look down awkwardly, turning away slightly.

Phil bumps into me and laughs, his hand worming its way onto my waist as he smiles.

"Sorry about that, you played amazingly tonight Clara and I have to say, you look beautiful in this dress." He says as I blush, stepping away from him slightly.

"Oh, thanks Phil." I murmur.

"Well, would you look at that." Phil says, gesturing to something above us. I look up and spot mistletoe. My stomach sinks and I laugh uneasily. It's not something I have widely known, but I haven't kissed anyone yet and I refuse for my first kiss to be a mistletoe tradition with Phil.

"Clara! There you are, my whole family is doing mince pies and hot chocolate, you want in?" Kia asks, appearing from no where and I sigh in relief.

"Yes!" I agree quickly, allowing her to tug me away as she giggles.

"Was that guy trying to put it on you under the mistletoe?" Kia asks almost hysterically and I nod miserably.

"Thank you for saving me." I admit and she shrugs.

"I was dead serious about the mince pies and hot chocolate." She says and I smile. I spot Kit speaking with his father as Kia's mother smiles kindly at us.

"Hello, Clara. You played wonderfully." She says and I thank her modestly.

I accept a mince pie and gratefully sip on hot chocolate, my eyes always wandering over to Kit.

My feelings are wildly all over the place and I frown, wishing that I could get them straight. I have every opportunity to speak to Kit, so why don't I?

Maybe because I'm awkward, or maybe because I really want him to like me. Maybe I wouldn't like him at all once I knew him?

And what about Chris? Lovely, kind, gorgeous Chris who I had met once.

Chris is a complete mystery and yet I want to speak to him again so badly.

Kit is everywhere and yet I can't bring myself to approach him.