Kit

The next time I see Clara, it's at orchestra. I sit at the piano eagerly awaiting her arrival. I'm not even trying to hide the fact that I'm waiting for her and Ollie is teasing me, much to his delight. I take no notice and perk up when I see her glorious golden hair enter the room.

She doesn't look happy, she looks tired and stressed. Her shoulders are hunched beneath the weight of her bags and there are dark circles under her eyes. I frown, wanting so desperately to go to her, to ask her if she's okay in an attempt to lighten the load she's carrying.

I stay firmly seated, my lips pursed as I turn towards the piano. I frown deeply and clunk my head against the piano in my own cowardice.

Ollie just laughs and leans over to pat my shoulder.

I've been looking forward to seeing Clara again, despite her being the most anxiety inducing part of my life. The wild swings between my moods are leaving me with whiplash.

Brian calls for our attention and we diligently start with the first rehearsed piece. I glance up at Clara whenever I have a free moment and even though she first looked unhappy to be here, she now looks care-free and I'm glad.

Orchestra is over far too quickly and Ollie is irritatingly nosy.

"So, do you fancy her or what? You should just go and speak to her you know, she's pretty chilled. I know that Philip on the flute has a thing for her but if I'm being honest, I'm rooting for you. Phil's a dick." Ollie natters and I frown, standing up straight and searching for this 'Phil'.

I spot him packing away his flute, surrounded by the other girls in woodwind as he laughs loudly. He has brown hair, blue eyes and an arrogant jaw-line. I size him up and decide that I don't like him, for reasons totally unrelated to the fact that he has a thing for my soulmate, obviously.

"What's he like?" I ask slowly, glancing back towards Ollie.

He shrugs in a non-committal gesture.

"He's alright I guess, pretty decent on the flute but kind of obnoxious. He loves the attention from the girls and plays up to it for all he's worth. If it's any consolation, I don't think your bird is interested." Ollie says, shrugging on his bag.

"I'll see you next week mate." He calls as he walks away and I nod, packing away my sheet music. I frown to myself, knowing that I have no right to feel jealous but I can't help it. I take some comfort from the fact that Ollie already thinks of Clara as 'my bird' and smile at his sudden loyalty.

I cycle home feeling frustrated. If I were normal, I'd just approach her, and tell her how I feel.

I shake my head, knowing that right now, that's impossible.

I trudge through the front door and find Kia sat at the table, both my parents by her sides as they discuss something intensely.

"What's going on?" I ask tentatively, glancing at Kia who smiles broadly.

"Kit, you're just in time. We're planning our 18th birthday party!" Kia says joyously and I laugh a little deliriously, thankful that that is all they were discussing.

"Come on, I'm thinking 'Halloween theme'." Saskia says, grinning mischievously and smile, sitting down to help plan our birthday.