Kit

"Did my eyes deceive me, or did you just walk in with Blondie?" Ollie asks crudely, his mouth still agape as his drumsticks hang limply between his fingers.

I cross over to the piano, feeling like the smuggest man in the world. The sight of my smile seems to disconcert Ollie, but I don't care.

"Yup." I say proudly, laughing when Ollie's drumsticks slip from his grasp and crash against the symbol.

"Um, how? When?" Ollie mumbles, scrabbling under the piano to retrieve his sticks.

I choke out a somewhat hysterical sounding laugh, wondering just how to answer those questions when I am thankfully interrupted by our composer.

I find myself even more distractible during orchestra, my eyes drawn to the golden head of my soulmate every chance they get. I am also inexplicably excited by how often Clara turns to look towards me, a blush as pink as a spring rose rushing to her cheeks each time she's caught.

I grin, winking cheekily as she is once again caught in the act, her face reliably tinged with pink as she rights herself. She makes a conscious effort to keep her eyes forward for the rest of the hour and I pout to myself. Now that I've had just an ounce of her attention, it's all I crave.

As soon as we are dismissed, I'm up and out of my seat in an instant. My eyes never leave her as I shoulder my bag, cramming in our new sheet music. I go to move when something catches me and pulls me back.

I turn, looking at Ollie with an expression as dark as I can muster. He doesn't seem phased.

"You my friend, have it bad. I thought it was bad before, but you're a hopeless case now." He says and I roll my eyes.

"I'm serious, you act like she's your soulmate or something." He mumbles. At the sound of the word everything in me softens, the urge to go to her coursing through my body. All of the breath has escaped my lungs and I even feel my cheeks heat up as I avoid Ollie's gaze.

"Oh my god..she's your soulmate." He murmurs.

My head snaps towards him, my eyes narrowing as I assess his expression. I watch him tentatively, not ready for this to be common knowledge.

"She's...um." I murmur, not even being able to string a full sentence together. Every muscle in my body is tense. I feel afraid and so in love and confused all at the same time, and apparently my expression says everything.

"Don't worry, mate. No one would believe me, even if I were to say something." He says comfortingly and I smile gratefully.

"Thanks, Ollie." I murmur, my eyes drifting back to my girl. She's waiting tentatively, an unsure expression on her face as she debates waiting for me.

"What are you waiting for, go." Ollie says, laughing at me and I nudge him good-humouredly.

"Kit?" He calls.

"Yeah?" I say, turning to look at him again.

"Congratulations." He says softly, glancing at Clara quickly and I grin, the happiness spreading over my face without my consent.

I turn and jog over to Clara, my arms opening as she sinks into my embrace. I tuck her beautiful head under my chin and softly kiss the top of it.

"Have you had enough of staring at me today or do you want me to stick around a bit longer?" I ask innocently, laughing as she whacks my arm playfully.

"I'm only human." She mutters, not meeting my eyes.

"I look at you every chance I get, it still seems so novel." I admit shyly, my fingers lifting her chin so that I can meet her eyes.

Her cheeks flush bright red all over again.

"Can I walk you home?" I ask, moving the subject along before she can hit me again for my audacity.

"I'd like that." She acquiesces.

The room has nearly cleared out at this point, so I bow playfully, my hand extended as I wait for her to accept it. She giggles, her soft hand gliding into mine and I sigh, pulling it to my mouth for a quick kiss.

I scoop up her violin and guide her out. The evening is warm and still, the sun beginning it's gentle descent in the west.

"Are we...telling people? About us I mean?" Clara asks suddenly, her eyes averted to the floor.

I ponder the question, not ever really meaning for Ollie to find out, let alone the rest of the people in our lives.

"I'd prefer not to advertise the fact that we are soulmates too publicly, I don't think the whole world needs to know and frankly, it makes me nervous to think of everyone..." I trail off, wanting to shiver at the possibility of someone purposely trying to take Clara away from me.

"I agree." Clara interjects, her hand squeezing mine and I smile.

"But, we'll need some sort of cover for why I can't stay away from you." I add, my breathing hitching slightly as I try and muster up the courage to ask the big question.

"Oh?" Clara asks, her expression intensely thoughtful and completely innocent.

I bite my lip, stopping just outside her house and gently tugging her towards me. I let go of her hand as I pause to brush her hair behind her ear.

"If only there were some way for us to be together, some relationship we could have." I mumble, unable to hide my smile and she rolls her eyes, finally getting the joke.

"Clara?" I ask, all humour lost as my nerves kick in. She won't say no, right?

"Would you, um, well what I'd like to ask is..." I stutter, her eyes so patient and gleaming with anticipation.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I breathe, overjoyed that I managed to get the words out at all.

She smiles radiantly, looking almost proud as she nods her head animatedly.

I tilt my head back, exhaling heavily as I lean against the brick wall next to us. My heart is beating erratically in my chest and I'm having a hard time catching a breath, but it's all worth it. Imagine what a mess I'll be when I ask her to marry me.

"Kit?" Clara asks, her voice laced with concern and I shake my head.

"I'm fine, I'm amazing actually." I say, laughing under my breath as it really sinks in.

"Holy shit, you're my girlfriend. Holy- are you sure? Is it too soon for you? Because we can go slower." I add quickly, my sudden euphoria brought crashing back to earth as my mind immediately begins to overthink.

She laughs, and very tentatively extends her hand to caress my face.

"I may not have known about you for four years, but you've occupied my thoughts for long enough. I want to know you, I want to spend time with you and be with you, so no. It's not too soon." She says.

Her eyes glance up towards my lips and I meet her halfway, more than happy to oblige her.

We part, both of us looking a little more flustered and I unwillingly hand her violin back to her.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" She asks and I nod.

"See you tomorrow." I confirm. For the first time in my entire life, I can't wait for college tomorrow.