Clara

I tug on my shoes hastily, tying my long hair into a neat bun as I have so many times before. I'm always excited to be here, to spend time with the people I love, doing the thing I love.

I see Saskia's familiar face stumble through the door in the mirror and I turn around, bounding over to her and hugging her.

"I'm happy to see you too." She says, laughing.

"This week has been awful, I'm so glad to be here." I say, shaking my head gently.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what's up?" She asks, dumping her stuff and turning to me.

I shrug, not really wanting to relay my lonely week at school, the tension at home, and the ache in my heart.

"My brother's been having a tough week as well." She says absently. I perk up, my eyebrows creasing in concern. I hesitate, but decide it's not my place to ask.

"He looks a lot like you." I comment, deciding to settle on a slightly different topic.

"I always forget that you'd never seen him before. I guess we do look pretty similar, don't we. All the girls at college have a crush on him, it's so embarrassing. They always ask me to talk to him for them." She mumbles, shaking her head with a laugh.

"He is quite handsome, does he have a girlfriend at college?" I ask, squirming on the bench and not entirely sure why this topic bothers me so much.

Kia snorts, rolling her eyes.

"No, he's completely oblivious to the attention. And anyway, even if he wasn't, he's had a thing for the same girl for years." She says with a sigh, raking through her bag, cursing when she can't find her leotard.

"He talks to you about that kind of stuff?" I ask, attempting to ignore the crushing feeling of this new piece of information. I'm not surprised at the fact that Kit gets attention at school, though, he's gorgeous. Not that I'd tell Kia that.

"Not really, I can just tell. He spoke about it the other day, but only because I made him. Boys are just so dense, don't you think? Anyway, enough about my stupid brother, what do you think about Leah's new dance partner?" Kia says and I laugh.

Kia chats on and I'm ashamed to say that I don't listen to a word of it. I'm intrigued by her brother, I admit it and I cant help it. There's just something about him that makes me want to know him.

"Clara? You didn't listen to a thing I just said, did you?" Kia says accusingly and I blush.

"Sorry, I was just lost in thought." I admit. Kia watches me carefully for a moment, as though she's thinking of something very important.

Her face clears and she smiles easily, her tense expression lost in a moment.

"Come on, lets go and stretch." She says and I nod eagerly, happy for the distraction.

We wander into the studio and find everybody chatting as they stretch on the floor. People chirp their hello's as we join them before they resume their otherwise very thrilling conversation.

"Our college is holding a winter formal dance this year, it's kind of a big deal for these girls." Kia whispers, rolling her eyes.

"I think I'm just going to go with the girls." Amy says happily.

"Unless someone asks you." Kia says, raising an eyebrow cheekily and Amy flushes bright pink.

"I really doubt that, Kia. If anyone's going to get asked it's you." She says and I turn my head in genuine interest.

"Everyone knows Michael's interested in you, he's always trying to talk to you." Sarah says quietly, although her tone is slightly jealous.

"Who's Michael?" I ask, watching Kia carefully. She's outwardly appearing as though she couldn't care less, but her fingers are fiddling with her ballet shoes nervously.

"Michael Grant. He's one of the most popular guys at college, he's captain of the cricket team and the rugby team, super lush to look at and a really nice guy. He's best friends with Kia's brother." Amy says, smiling at Kia.

"He's not interested in me, he just talks to me to be nice. He's just my brothers best friend, that's all." Kia says definitively.

I find myself wishing that I could have the same worries as who to ask to the winter formal dance. My school doesn't do fun things like that. I try not to sulk too much about it, knowing that I'm very privileged to go to the school that I go to.

Kia nudges me gently and I look up quizzically.

"Would you want to come to the dance? It's one of those things you buy tickets for, so if you wanted to come..." Kia asks gently and I nod quickly, beaming at her.

"I'd love to come." I say, hopping up from the floor and pulling her up with me.

Saskia laughs at my enthusiasm.

"Plus, I'd like to get a look at this Michael that seems to have gotten your attention." I whisper, giggling as she shoves me away in feigned annoyance.

"Come on, lets dance." She mutters and I nod. That is something I can do.