Kit

Saskia skips into my room merrily and I swivel in my desk chair, already suspicious of her good mood.

"What do you want?" I ask slowly, watching as she sprawls out on my bed with the expression of a satisfied cat. My arms circle my Maths homework to guard it from her snatchy hands.

"Oh, nothing. I just heard some interesting news." She says, gazing at her nails dramatically.

I roll my eyes and turn back to the work on my desk, knowing that Sass is probably just playing around.

"Don't you want to know?" She asks innocently and I shake my head.

"Oh well, if you're going to be so unapproachable then I'll tell Clara that switching schools isn't such a good idea." She says, wandering out of my room again.

I drop my pencil, dashing out of my seat and consequently stumbling over the edge of my desk as I chase after my sister.

Saskia is laughing at me and I erect myself quickly, not even slightly bothered about my brief encounter with the floor. I discreetly usher Kia back into my room and shut the door quietly.

"Say it again. She's actually transferring to our college?" I ask seriously. Kia nods, still grinning like a maniac.

I lean against my door heavily, my fingers twisting together anxiously as I mull the idea over.

"When?" I murmur.

"January." Kia says and I nod. January, okay. That leaves me with just over 3 months to build some courage. To keep making baby steps towards actually being able to speak to her.

"Okay. Cool, cool, cool, cool." I mumble and Kia laughs.

"Stop watching so much Brooklyn 99." She says, patting me on my shoulder as she brushes past to leave.

"It's a brilliant show and comedic genius." I argue softly, my mouth turning downward into a little pout. I sit down and contemplate just how swiftly things are changing now.

Just a few weeks ago, I was content with seeing her once a year and now, I've seen her more in two weeks than I have in four years. I shake my head, running my hands through my hair as I take a shaky breath.

I can hear Saskia talking to one of her friends on the phone and she's giggling and gossiping like a little witch. I go to shut my door again when I hear her mention the winter dance.

The winter dance is a little thing our college holds to give the students a bit of a break at the end of term, and you can buy tickets for anyone who doesn't go to our school. I think of Clara, and how much I would like to share an experience like that with her.

It's been long enough that we've been apart and I promise to myself to try and work at this, try and build up the courage to ask her to accompany me. Or at least ask her to dance. Baby steps.