Coulson

Conan POV

I slept downstairs on the couch that night when mom got back and I was glad that Ren didn't seem to mind. We've talked it out and things between us are less uncomfortable now.

Mom gives me a ride back into town before she goes into work the next morning, but even she seemed to notice that my mind is all over the place today. I had to get back to the motel.

"Morning" Lara yawns when she opens her door.

"Do you still have it?"

"Well, duh?"

She hands me my backpack over that she'd had hidden under the bed ,and I take a look inside to make sure the book is still okay in there.

"Thanks".

"So where are you taking it exactly? Do you need me to come with you?"

"No, you stay here" I tell her firmly.

"What's crawled up your ass today?"

"Sorry, I just didn't get that much sleep last night".

"You and Ren made up properly then?" she winks.

"Not like that we didn't. I slept on the couch, that's all" I roll my eyes at her because she's such a pervert.

"You'll have to let me know if the rumours are true then, when it finally does happen".

"What rumours?"

"About the sex being incredible when you have the mate bond, like forth of July fireworks amazing".

I'd never heard that one before.

If and when that happen I have no doubt it'll be special, but I'm in no rush because it'll also be Ren's first time. I'll wait until she's ready, no matter how long that is.

"That would be between me and her".

I may have been with Lara in the past and tell her a lot of things, but I wanna be respectful towards Ren and not talk about her like that.

A woman raised me after all.

"That's really sweet".

"I'll be back in a couple of hours, okay?"

"See you later".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was nervous as hell to step foot back inside this old building after so long. Most people would feel a sense nostalgia walking back inside their old high school, but not me.

While I was here, I was bullied a lot. I'd lost count of how many lockers I'd been pushed inside, and how many times I'd gotten my ass kicked by guys a lot bigger then me.

I'm pretty sure that if any of those guys tried to pick a fight with me now I'd tear them in half, even like this. Back then I was small for my age, and more interested in chess or reading than I was in sports, like football.

Mom said it was okay to be different, that everyone was going through the exact same thing as me, but expressed it in different ways, including being a complete douchebag.

If only I'd have known just how different I was back then.

I knock on the door of one of my old teachers, Mr Coulson. He was pretty cool, and still happens to be the Spanish teacher here. He probably won't remember me after 10 years when I look so different, but it's worth a shot.

"Come in".

"Hi, Mr Coulson. I'm sorry to bother you, but..."

"Conan Hart?" he smiles once he's readjusts his glasses and gets a better look at me.

"You remember me?"

That was a huge relief.

"Of course I do. It's so good to see you again".

"You too. This might seem weird, but you once told us that you studied languages at university, right?'

"I did, and I have to say that I was very disappointed when I heard that you never chose to further your own education".

I feel like he's about to give me detention or something.

"Just wasn't for me. I actually came here hoping you could help me with something language related".

"I'm happy to help".

I put my bag down and get the book out before putting it on his desk in front of him. He looks fascinated by it.

"This is old, really old. Where did you get this?"

"I bought it at this old antique store while I was working over in Europe recently. My girlfriend is really into all this occult stuff, so I bought it for her birthday next week. Problem is, she doesn't know any other languages, so I wanna have it translated for her too".

I really hope he bought all of that.

"It's definitely Romanian, but seems to have Transylvanian influences. I can translate it, but it'll definitely take a few days, if you don't mind leaving it with me?"

Having this book with him would be like having a big red target painted on his back. It was well guarded when we found it, so someone is gonna be out there looking for it as we speak.

"Sure" I tell him against my better judgment because I'm desperate.

"Well I can tell you the title already. It says The Exalted Spirit of the White Wolf".

"Exalted, what does that mean?"

"It can mean a lot of things really. Noble, prestigious, venerable?"

"Now dumb that down for me".

"Powerful, essentially".

No wonder the packs have been out there searching for her. With her on anyone's side, they could be the dominant pack and potentially take any territory they wanted without question.

"Here's my number" I hand him a piece of paper with the number from my new cellphone written on it.

"I'll call you as soon as I'm finished".

Now all I needed to do is find a damn job, so I don't have to keep leaching off my mom for food now that I'm living back here.