Chapter 46: A Life Changing Diagnosis

23 Weeks Along

-Harry's POV-

The large black and white clock on the wall ticks loudly. Proving time is moving even though it feels frozen.

My eyes find it, trying to focus. Everything is a bit blurry. I'm not sure if that's due to the fact I've been crying or that I feel so dizzy.

This is now the second time in my life I've sat in a hospital, somehow feeling numb and overly sensitive at the same time.

This is also the second time I've had a panic attack cause I was so upset over Ava being alright.

Thankfully this time I didn't pass out. But I did get sick. Twice.

Ava's hand squeezes mine suddenly and my eyes shoot towards hers. Her eyebrows furrow as her eyes shut and her breathing quickens.

She's in pain. A lot of it.

I stand up, still holding onto her hand as I lean over her. I push her sweat soaked hair away from her face.

Her eyes pop open at my touch, "Tell me when it's almost over."

I nod, looking at the monitor next to us. Her heart rate slowly goes down as I grip her small hand in mine.

"Just a few more seconds." I assure her. "You're doing so good baby."

Her breathing softens as she lays back in the bed. "How far apart was that?"

"Don't..." I shake my head. "Doesn't matter. The doctor said it will stop altogether soon."

"He said it will hopefully stop." Av corrects me as a fresh tear glides down her cheek.

I catch it with my thumb, wiping it away and drying my finger on my shirt. I clench my jaw, trying not to start crying again myself. I need to be strong. And calm.

But I'm barely holding myself together. I'm a fucking mess.

I don't even remember the drive to the hospital. I remember carrying Ava downstairs and outside to the car, but after that nothing.

I do remember her screaming, sobs racking her body. Making her shake uncontrollably.

I won't ever be able to forget that.

And the blood. The sight of it will forever be fucking ingrained into my brain.

I was scared shitless from just that alone. But when I realized she was also having contractions, I didn't hesitate.

My worn pair of jeans were pulled up my legs hastily before I picked her up. I didn't bother with a shirt or even shoes, there wasn't time for it.

She clung to me as I rushed down the stairs. Robin and my mum thankfully following right behind us. As I climbed into the back with Ava, Robin got behind the wheel.

We were shown into a room immediately. The second I sat Ava down onto the bed I was pushed away. A doctor and two nurses examined her as I stood like a bloody statue.

Watching my world fall apart in front of my eyes.

When the doctor told us she hadn't lost the baby, I felt like I could breathe for the first time. Then when he told me her cervix was dilated and he would need to stitch her up for any chance of survival, the wind was promptly knocked right back out of my lungs.

She hadn't lost the baby. Yet.

If he couldn't get the contractions to stop she could very well deliver our baby tonight.