Chapter 19: Apologies and Regrets

16 Weeks Along

-Harry's POV-

My fingers mindlessly punch in the code to the front door as I adjust the bag thrown over my shoulder. It beeps, alerting me I put in the wrong code. It beeps again. And again.

Fuck. Can I get anything right?

I didn't sleep on the plane. I'm not sure if I even blinked. To worried, my mind wouldn't stop thinking. About how to make this right. About how to explain myself.

The door swings open as I start to punch in the code again, my eyes being met with big brown ones.

They're red. Her cheeks are wet.

She's been crying.

I'm such a piece of shit.

"Av..." I step towards her, but she only backs away. Stepping aside so I can enter the house.

I don't grab her like I would like to. I don't hold her in my arms and kiss her like I want to. Like I need to. I just walk past her, setting my bag on the floor right inside the door before closing it behind me.

She wipes her face as I look at her, my heart breaking. I've hurt her. Again.

Again.

She stares down at the floor as I move towards her, stopping right in front of her and gently taking her hand.

"I didn't... I didn't cheat on you." I shake my head, disgusted at the thought. "Swear it. I wouldn't. Ever."

"I know." She says quietly.

"Then why... why're you crying?" I question, reaching my hand up and wiping a tear off her cheek with the pad of my thumb.

She flinches. She fucking flinches away from my touch. I hate myself.

She turns from me, snatching a letter off the entryway table. Holding it out for me to take.

I glance over it, confusion overtaking my features. "I don't understand..."

"A couple weeks ago I sent the paperwork in to get my name changed."

I suck in a breath, my eyes scanning over the second page. God, I've fucked up.

"Wanted it to be a surprise." She laughs like she just heard a bad joke, "This was at the office along with my other mail. Found it this morning."

I look back down at the papers in my hands, realizing what I'm holding.

I don't speak. I can't. There's not much to say other then I'm sorry. I'm a total fuck up. I love you.

None of it will be enough. Not this time.

"Why..." She chokes, trying to fight off tears. "Why did I get a letter back saying our marriage license is a fake? Did you... You had me sign a fake marriage license?"

"Ava... Just let me explain alright? I can explain..."

"Answer my question." She cuts me off, "Did you have me sign a fake marriage license at our wedding?"

"Av... please." I reach for her hand, but she moves it away.

"Did you have me sign a fake marriage license at our wedding?" She repeats herself.

"Yeah." I answer softly.

"The UK one we signed... that fake too?"

I nod slowly, staring into her eyes. God, I've fucked up.

Her palm connects with my cheek quickly. I hear it before I even feel it. A sharp sting. One that's well deserved.

"I don't even know what to say to you." She spits. "You... you pretended to get married to me?"