Chapter 40

I spent the night with my dad since he was still really bruised and he had some stitches here and there. I just wanted to make sure he was ok.

"Hey Alex?" He asked as I came into his room.

"Yeah Dad?"

"Are you ok? I know you're upset with Dean, but you seem really upset."

"I don't think I should forgive him this fast, but at the same time, he says he didn't mean to hurt you and he's really upset about it all. I just feel bad that I haven't forgiven him. I know he says it wasn't his fault, but at the same time, I saw him do it and I feel like it is his fault if that makes any sense. I just don't know what to do." I said, starting to cry a little.

"Hey, it's ok sweetheart. I know this is tough on you." He said, sitting with me on his bed and pulling me in for a hug. "I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but you need to know that this wasn't his fault. When the mark takes over, he can't do anything about it. He lashes out and can't stop on his own. I know you watched him attack me, and I didn't want you to have seen that, but it's not his fault."

"It's really not his fault?"

"Really. I thought you knew that."

"He told me that once, but it sounded crazy to me that you would have no control over your actions. I totally forgot he told me that when he told me about hell. I tried to push that conversation out of my head. I feel really bad now. I didn't remember he really had no control. Is Dean still up?"

"He's in his room, but I guarantee you he is still up."

"I'm gonna go talk to him."

I walked to his room, and couldn't help the tears welling up in my eyes as I went. I felt so guilty. How could I have forgotten what he told me about the mark? Granted, he didn't explain very fully, but still. I knocked on his door. He opened it.

"Alex, what's wrong? Is Sammy ok?" He asked, seeing my tears.

"My dad is fine, but I'm not." I followed him back inside, and took a seat in his chair.

"Tell me, what's wrong?"

"I am Dean. I'm a stupid jerk."

"What are you talking about?"

"I should have forgiven you from the beginning. The reason I didn't was partly cause I was pissed, but mostly because I was stupid and forgot what you said."

"What did I say?"

"You told me that when the mark lights up, you can't control yourself. I tried to push the stuff you told me that night out of my head, and I hadn't connected what you said with all of this. I saw you beat up my dad and I didn't even think about it being just the mark and not you. You even straight up told me it was the mark, but I was so pissed that I didn't care what you said anymore." I said, floods of tears coming from my eyes.

"Alex, don't be so hard on yourself. I never once yelled at you or was mad at you for not forgiving me. I understood why you didn't. I don't deserve to be forgiven no matter if the mark caused it or not. If anything, you should be mad at me."

"You do deserve forgiveness. You are an amazing person. I'm happy that you are my uncle, and my friend. I'm just sorry I didn't believe you about the mark."

"It's ok Alex. Really."

"Well, you are forgiven. Thanks for not getting pissed at me."

"Thank you. Of course I wouldn't be pissed. I love you and Sam so much and I totally understand your reaction and his. Now go get some sleep kiddo." I nodded. He gave me a big hug, and I left.