YOU WERENT THERE: 8/8/21

slam poetry attempt #1

I wish things were different and that maybe the second time through you would listen. It's not like I was closed off, all you had to do was ask but you never did. For the first time in my life I wasn't stuck in my mind, but you made me want to go back. I had all these feelings bottled up just waiting to come out, waiting for you to ask, but you didn't. I should've known you wouldn't even though you said you would. I should've ended it when I noticed that you weren't the one for me. But something about you kept drawing me in. You kept me entranced and wrapped around your finger. I was a damaged puppet and you were in control of the strings. Whenever you would leave, your presence would linger. Why? I don't know but I wanted it to stop. I couldn't get out of the bubble that I was trapped in. You played with the strings like a harpist would but I'm just wondering what I did to deserve this. I was there for you whenever you needed. But the second I asked you to be there for me you were gone in a beat. And I was left talking to the shadows in the room, mourning the ghost of you. I can't hold my breath waiting for things to change, so I left.