Chapter 8

Recap:::

      "I have a secret. I can't tell y'all what it is, but my mom hates me for it. She acts all goody-goody around other people towards me, but it's all a lie." The tears were flowing now. "It's a bad secret too. I'm not normal. And...I...I can't tell you, or I might die."

--Chapter 8--

      I passed out in the car shortly after that episode. My eyes, red from tear stains, had swollen and made me tired. Meanwhile, a certain demon council jerked me to their universe. The unbearable pain succeeded when the blurry image became clear and I arrived.  My mahogany horns expanded from the flesh of my skull leaving a human body, beautiful horns, and one fiery attitude.

      "Don't tell them anything else!" The odd voice that always seemed to be there said.

      I was pulled back to my own reality after that obnoxiously short message. I mean really. I already told them that I couldn't say anything else. Hell sure is confusing. Lol! That sounds like something a guy would say. 'Females are so confusing.' I wonder sometimes if we could just make a manual for them so we don't have to listen to their complaining anymore.

      My puffy red eyes were still irritated. Gosh! My life could be just a little easier. I 'awoke' with a new steady stream of tears. Jame tried his best to comfort me while Hunter stole glances at me from the driver's seat.

        Hell gave me what you would call a normal message. My phone buzzed with a new text. 'Pull over!' "Pull over," I repeated out loud. Just as we rolled to safety on the side of the road, a semi-truck trembled past us obviously not aware of sudden danger. The truck lost control not ten meters in front of us. It crashed with a thud and fire on the side of the road.

      Both boys looked at me like I just killed their cat. "How...h..how did you know that was about to happen?" Hunter spoke first.

      "It's a secret," I responded, "You might hate me for."

      Their eyes grew worried. Both boys were visually upset, and they needed me to be normal. Too bad I couldn't do that for them. "Let's get going now." I whispered in a hushed voice. "I don't want to get too far behind schedule." Hunter immediately jumped onto the freeway, the steering wheel in a firm grasp between his hands.

      "I don't know about you." Jame finally decided to speak. "But, I think I know what you are."

      Uh oh! My life is in serious trouble if they know now. I started to fiddle with my thumbs, spinning them in circles around themselves. I don’t want them to know. I don’t want them to know. I really don’t want to die. I have to rescue Hell from the fire below. Under Earth sounds horrible. I love to be up here, and I’m sure that everyone would want to too.

      Suddenly Jame said, “You’re a runaway aren’t you? That’s why your mom never calls. That’s why you got upset when we mentioned her. Isn’t it? Is that why you won’t tell us everything?” The urge to laugh built up inside of me. I couldn’t believe that he just accused me of that.

       “No! I did not run away. My mother knows where I am!” I yelled in giggles. “Kind of.” I whispered as an afterthought. “Speaking of which…I should text her.” The looks I got were hilarious. You really should have seen them. Hunter’s jaw popped open, and Jame let out a little sigh.

      “She really doesn’t know, does she?” Jame gave me a defeated look.

      “No, but then again…she doesn’t care either. You can call her on my phone and see the kind of reaction she gives you.” As an answer he pulled the phone from my loose grasp and started to search through my contacts to find the one labeled “Mother: The Sometimes Kind”