♫ 81 ♫

*ding dong - ding dong*

"Are you sure I look good?", Seonghwa asked as he patted down his clothes.

"This is like the hundredth time you asked me that and I'm giving you the same answer.", Hongjoong rolled his eyes, smiling at the thought that Seonghwa wanted to look presentable.

"It's not the first time I met your parents but it is the first time I'm going inside your house and meeting your whole family.", Seonghwa reasoned and just then the doors swung open.

"Kim Hongjoong! My baby! I missed you so much!", Hongjoong's mom exclaimed as she threw her hands around her son, not noticing another presence.

"M-mom, please don't embarrass me.", he said as he tapped on her shoulders. Hongjoong's mom released her embrace and found Seonghwa standing with an awkward stance.

"Park Seonghwa!! Its so great to see you here! I'm so happy my son brought a friend.", Hongjoong's mom hugged him too. Seonghwa and Hongjoong shared glances and broke into a silent laughter.

"I am so thankful to be invited by Hongjoong and to celebrate with his family.", Seonghwa politely answered. As the three of them walked in, multiple voices could be heard. There were children running around and adults chatting all the way, elders were sitting on the couch having their teas.

"The birthday boy is here!!" Hongjoong's mom announced and soon the whole room went silent and their attentions all went to him.

His breath hitched and nervousness was piling up, but then he felt a hand on his back which soothed him, "I'm so glad to be home. Thank you for coming.", he said and bowed.

Soon, the children all got their gifts and gave it to Hongjoong, he was greeted with happy birthdays and after a minute, his hands were full of gifts, "Thank you so much for your gifts."

"I'll help you with that. I'll bring them to the car.", Seonghwa said and smiled as he took some gifts.

They were all called to the dining room and sat down to eat. The atmosphere was great and there were full of laughter. After dinner, the grown ups stayed at the table while the children went to play.

"So Hongjoong, would you like to introduce us to this friend of yours.", his Auntie Minju asked as she eyed Seonghwa.

"I'm sure some of you would know him already, his name is Park Seonghwa, a member of my group.", Hongjoong delightfully introduced, making Seonghwa shy with the attention.

"Are you single? Maybe you could date my daughter in the future, you look like a very responsible man.", Hongjoong's Uncle Yongshik joked, earning approvals from everyone.

"I'm so sorry, but I'm not available right now, and even in the future.", Seonghwa politely declined, waving his hands.

"Oh, are you dating someone right now...or gay? I can't believe handsome men have to like men too.", Auntie Minju complained.

"Look what happened to Hongjoong, such a handsome boy but isn't interested in girls.", Auntie Sooyoung added, showing a pitiful expression.

"Why would you boys want to put your things in another boy's ass? Such a shame, other girls might not be interested once they know.", Uncle Jonghan, laughed.

"Eomma said gays were digusting cuz they sell their bodies.", a small girl's voice was heard by the entrance. Everyone turned to that direction, but the girl was ushered out by Auntie Minju.

Seonghwa felt the cold atmosphere surrounding Hongjoong, he glanced at him, seeing something he never wanted to see. Tears were trying to escape Hongjoong's eyes but he was fighting them back.

"I am not gay but-", Seonghwa was cut off by a chuckle.

"Damn, I can't believe this. It's my birthday celebration and you all show up throwing this disgusting mindset at me and Seonghwa?", Hongjoong looked up, tears falling from his eyes.

"Hongjoong, darling they might just be joking.", Hongjoong's mom said with an awkward laugh. Hongjoong shook his head and laughed.

"For countless years of my life, I have been dealing with this family. But what do I receive? Insults and disrespects just because of your toxicity and stereotypes. And now, you're also closing the minds of your children? Shame on you.", Hongjoong said through his gritted teeth, but his face showed pain.

"Hongjoong, we just want you to probably wake up from this phase, maybe soon you'll find out you actually like girls.", Aunt Sooyoung tried to calm him down.

"For fuck sake this is not a phase. I like boys, but I am not dirty, I never did anything dirty. Look at me, people love me because I worked hard to be where I am now. But sadly, none of you would probably understand because you believe what you want to.", Hongjoong shouted and pushed back his chair, "Seonghwa, we're going home."

Seonghwa stood up and took a deep breath, "I'm sorry if I ruined your beliefs that a man is only made for a woman. I am not gay but I am in love with Kim Hongjoong. And to see how his family treats him, I wouldn't leave him for the world. Hongjoong is a great person and I don't understand why you all throw that away just because he wants to be himself."

Seonghwa held Hongjoong's hand and looked into his eyes, "He shows his true self with ATEEZ, but in this family, he has to put this invisible mask just to get validation from all of you. I always supported Hongjoong to meet his family but after knowing what it feels I'd rather have him stay with his other family which is me and the other members. It was nice meeting you all.", Seonghwa bowed.

Before the two of them were able to reach the main door, a low voice was heard, "Kim Hongjoong and Park Seonghwa, come back to the table immediately."

"We should go back, my dad only speaks like this in serious matters.", Hongjoong sighed and they both turned around walking to the direction where they came from.

"Sit down, you two. And tell the children to come inside.", as soon as Mr, Kim said that, the aunties and uncles got their children.

"Dad, I'm so-", Hongjoong got cut off when his dad placed a hand in front of his face.

"I did not tell you to apologize.", Mr. Kim said with a straight face.