The First Friend

Much to Amaris' surprise, the Slytherin students had taken her threat to set Fidi on them seriously, and not a word of the previous night's events had reached the other students by the time the Slytherin v Gryffindor quidditch match started.

Amaris wasn't going to attend, but after much thought, while eating lunch, she decided she would go. she was Lady Slytherin after all, and now that a few others knew, it would look bad if she just didn't attend. And secretly, Amaris still longed for her twin brother. She could remember being a baby, when the Potters were alive, James bought both Harry and herself toy broomsticks and the three would play with them for hours in their nursery. Being able to remember James and lily, it hurt Amaris, deep down, though she wouldn't admit it. She may have only spent a year on Midgard with her second set of parents but that didn't mean she did not miss their unconditional, fulfilling love. Amaris was incredibly grateful that when she fell to earth, that she had the Potters as parents. she couldn't have hoped for anything more.

She sat alone at the very top of the Slytherin stands, the wind blowing her streaked hair and the damp clinging to her faultless skin. A green and grey knitted scarf wrapped around her neck, obscuring her breath that would surely be visible in the cold air if it weren't for the wool in its path. Amaris felt the bench creak beside her and she turned to find Theodore Nott sitting silently beside her, looking straight ahead.

A few minutes passed before the boy spoke up in an apologetic tone, still, look straight forwards "I'm sorry for telling them-"

"it's okay, I was going to tell them anyways" she replied, glancing at him before looking back to the ongoing quidditch match.

Theodore  looked towards the girl, "you're not angry at me?"

"of course not" she laughed lightly as the boy fidgeted with his thumbs. he still seemed anxious.

"so you're not going to feed me to your giant snake?"

Amaris genuinely smiled at her nervous classmate "you thought I was being serious? Fidi is here to protect the students, not eat them"

relief flooded Theodore's senses and he let out a shaky chuckle. He was about to reply when something in the sky caught their attention.

A bludger had gone rogue and was repeatedly aiming for a single player, Amaris squinted her eyes before Theodore let out a shocked gasp and claimed "It's going for Potter!"

Amaris watched, her heart in her throat as the ball chased ferociously after her brother. The crowd was going wild and the teachers were in alarm. Harry, being the idiotic boy he was, chased after the snitch despite being trailed by the bludger. Harry along with Draco Malfoy and the rogue bludger on his tail, followed the snitch under the rafters and the next thing Amaris knew, Harry was back out in the open, falling from his broom with the golden snitch grasped tightly in his hand. Gryffindor won, and Amaris had to bite back the small swell of pride at her brother's triumph and remember that he hated her and he was also still under attack by a demonic sports ball.

unable to stop her sisterly instincts from kicking in when she saw Lockhart saunter his way up to her injured brother, Amaris stood and rushed down the pitch where harry was attempting to stop Lockhart from casting god knows what in attempt to 'fix' Harry's arm. Amaris didn't think twice before disarming the pervy professor, catching his wand in her hand. "you know, I'm getting really tired of having to disarm people" she muttered to herself gaining a few questionable glances from Ron and hermione who were standing near. As she went to stand next to her brother, who was now looking back up to her, she said "id ask if you're okay, but..." she trailed off at seeing just how bent out of shape Harry's arm was. he let out a strangled chortle. Amaris was surprised none of the trio had angrily forced her away yet, but figured they were too concerned about Harry's injury.

"How dare you! don't you know who I am?" Lockhart bellowed as he stormed up to Amaris "yeah, an incompetent prat who was about to fuck up my brother's arm even more than it already is"

she let out a relieved sigh as madam Pomfrey rushed over to the scene and began properly spelling Harry's arm. she threw Lockhart's wand back to him and pulled a face at the way he fumbled around to catch it.

she had found Theodore waiting for her at the castle entrance and he had asked about Harry's welfare, though it was clear he was only doing so to be polite and didn't actually care. she had asked him why he had waited for her and he had simply shrugged. Harry and his merry band had come up to the new duo a few moments later in the corridor.

"erm, I just wanted to, you know, thank you for stopping Lockhart"
harry had awkwardly said, rubbing the nape of his neck.

Amaris was confused at his demeanour. Not even a few weeks ago harry couldn't stand to even look at her yet now he was thanking her for something as simple as stopping Lockhart from furthering damage already done?

"don't worry about it" she replied and went to walk away when Ron spoke up "I'm surprised you of all people aren't drooling all over Lockhart."

Amaris huffed and carried on walking away "you don't know me, Ronald Weasley" the trio walked to catch up with Amaris and Theodore.

Hermione sent Ron a glare at the disgust in his tone when talking about her favourite professor before looking to Amaris and asking "how did you do that, by the way? you disarmed him without a wand... in fact, I don't think I've ever seen you use a wand in all of our shared classes."

Theodore snickered from beside Amaris "what's wrong Granger, upset that someone's better than you?"

Amaris didn't let her amusement at Theodore's remark show in her voice when she turned to a slightly hurt Hermione "I just don't need a wand" she shrugged.

"But how is that possible? you've only been at Hogwarts since that start of September"

Amaris just sighed and looked at the bushy-haired girl. "I don't know" she lied.

Hermione stopped for a moment, and seemed to be thinking about something before a hopeful smile plastered itself upon her features "do you think you could teach me?" Ron sent her a glare "I mean- us?"

Perplexed, Amaris asked "why? don't you hate me?" she glanced at Harry and then Ron, before looking back to Hermione.

"I'm already helping you with the-" she looked towards Theodore before lowering her voice as she continued "-with the Polyjuice situation. why should I do anything else for you when you're just going to go back to hating me because I'm a Slytherin?"

At this, harry looked to the ground and scuffled his shoes, Guilt dripping from his person "I'm sorry" he spoke quietly.

"Yeah, me too" Ron spoke adamantly, nodding his head. " well, I mean I still hate Slytherin, but you're okay for being a slimy snake, I suppose."

UNEDITED

A/N: Double update! I don't like this chapter but it needed to happen to progress multiple sub plots.