Clementine Potter

Remus Lupin was not the type to second guess himself, but as his eyes trailed upon the familiar features of a certain red headed young girl, he wanted to repeatedly smash his head on a nearby lamppost.
He was seeing things, surely.

-

It was almost 5pm, he had just been on his way home from his daily trip to the local off-license to pick up bread and milk. That's when he saw her. The small, shivering frame sitting in a busstop taking shelter from the downpour that fell from the greying skies.

As he walked closer he debated on stopping to ask if the child was okay or needed help, but decided to just keep to himself. The muggle neighbors already thought him to be strange, and he was willing to bet seeing him talk to a lone, crying child wouldn't help his case.

Just as he was about to walk past, the girl lifted her head up, looking in his direction.

It was like his entire world slowed down.
He didn't take note of the blood and grime that soaked her clothing and hands, or the shimmering tear tracks that burned her puffy cheeks. All he could think about was how, for a single moment, he thought Lily Potter had came back from the dead.

-

Clementine had no idea as to where she had ended up after running away, but knew she had to find somewhere to go before it got dark.

She didn't want strangers to see a glowing child walking around the streets, what if they took her to the government and they cut her up and used her as an experiment? No, she had to find somewhere to hide.

She couldn't go back to the Orphanage, the last thing she needed right now was to be beaten to a bleeding pulp and locked away in the damp-ridden, rat infested basement for days with no food or water.

She felt small drops of water hit her face making her let out a slow sigh and scrunch her nose, looking up to the sky as she walked. The clouds were the kind of grey that would make any quarry rock proud, as if they were so pleased to reflect the earth. All the grey, all that swirling water in the sky, it was bound to rain sooner rather than later.

And as if someone above had heard her thoughts,  the heavens opened and rain started bleeding down. Clementine looked around for somewhere to take shelter, and her eyes landed on a old busstop.

She sat one one of the small, red, plastic benches and let out a sob. She didn't have anywhere to go, was soaked to the bone, had no food and in that moment, Clementine thought the best option was to just walk straight into the middle of the road and wait until a car came and finished her off.
She didn't, though.

Dark and harmful thoughts had always
loitered in a deep dark crevice of her mind, but she usually managed to push the worst of them even further down, doing small things to kill the urges and keep them at bay; stubbing her toes against brick walls or poking a hot baking tray with her pinky finger.
She just assumed it was a normal thing, seeing as all of the adults in her life hurt themselves (usually in the form of alcohol, drugs or nicotine, she noted) to alleviate the torment of life.  

When she finally swam up and out of her alarming thoughts, she looked up to notice a man coming to a startled stop a metre or two away from her.
There was an odd look upon his face, Clementine could swear it looked as if he had just seen a ghost.
What confused her most, was that he was looking directly at her.

"L-Lily?" He stuttered out, his plastic carrier bag falling to the floor and splitting, it's contents spilling out. Her eyes followed as glass milk bottle came rolling over to her, hitting the plastic bench next to her feet with a soft 'clank'.

She quickly rubbed at her eyes and cleared her throat of any sniffles she had been letting out in her distress. Looking back up to the stanger she hesitated
"sorry, you must have the wrong person"

A sad, almost disappointed look glazed over his  scarred face. "Yes, of course. My apologies" sighing as he bent down to pick up his spilt groceries.

He shouldn't have been so stupid as to even believe it could be Lily, he knew it was impossible but still, for that split second, he had thought it was truly her.

He noticed from the corner of his eye,
She shakily stood from her seat to crouch down and pick up his milk. That's when he actually took notice of her appearance, and not just her striking resemblance to his deceased friend.
She seemed to only be around the age of 9-10
Her clothes were large and old, clinging to her skinny frame from the rain. Dirt stained her long sleeves and he didn't fail to miss the way her knuckles were bruised and bloody.
His eyes trailed back up to her face, unruly drenched red hair clung to her damp face, a face he couldn't help but recognise. Tear tracks trailed down her babyish cheeks and her bottom lip seemed to quiver.

And that's when an idea seeped into his mind, she looked so familiar, and she couldn't be Lily... could she be her daughter?
He had always thought it was weird that Clementines body wasn't recovered from the wreckage in Godriks hollow.. He had always held onto a small glimmer of pathetic hope she could be alive...

He had to atleast ask for her name, he wouldn't be able to leave without knowing, without making sure.

As she bent back up and took small steps towards him, he held his breath in fear and desperation. He needed it to be her, he couldn't go through the disappointment of it not being. "Clementine?" She topped in her tracks living her striking green gaze to once again lay upon his tired features. She clenched the the glass bottle in her hand as she asked meekly
"how- how do you know my name?

He could have collapsed in that moment, but instead he chose to suck in a deep breath, completely ignoring her question. "Clementine... potter? He asked, with even more desperation than before.

she was growing more and more alarmed. This strange and rather... creepy looking man somehow knew her. "Y-yes- How do you know my na-"
But before she could finish her question she was being engulfed by a sobbing man. He seemed to cling to her like he thought she would disappear.

She was terrified, a weird arse man has basically attacked her! And we all know what happens when she senses danger....

Before either of them had a chance to realise what was happening , a ghostly white light shone around the young girl and the man was thrown back, his head hitting the pavement with a painful sounding crack.

When Remys Lupins sight refocused a few moments later, he sat straight up and looked around him, ignoring the trickle of blood he felt running down the back of his head and the searing headache he had gained.
Just thankful for not having been knocked out from his body's wolfy increased resilience. He saw Clementine standing still, not having moved a single step from where they had both been a moment ago, a look of sheer panick etched upon her face.

It looked as if she was about to say something but he beat her to it, still ignoring the pain he was in "Clementine, please calm down. I won't hurt you, please, please, just hear me out."
Completely disregarding the strange burst of presumably accidental magic that had just sent him flying, he could deal with that another day.

What he needed to do now was get her to trust him, get her somewhere safe, and hopefully find someone to explain how she was alive, his best bet was that a certain Hogwarts Headmaster had the answers.

Unedited
A/N : I had originally planned for snape to be the one to find her, not lupin, but decided to change it when I couldn't come up with a good enough reason as to why snape would be walking down a muggle street. Anyways it doesn't matter, Lupin and snape both have big roles to come.