The Greater Good

.  . ☆ . ° . °:. *₊ ° . ☆

She was a Phantom of delight
When first she gleamed upon my sight;
A lovely Apparition, sent
To be a moment's ornament;
Her eyes as stars of Twilight fair;
Like Twilight's, too, her dusky hair;
But all things else about her drawn
From May-time and the cheerful Dawn;
A dancing Shape, an Image gay,
To haunt, to startle, and way-lay.

- William Wordsworth

Lily and James Potter didn't know they were having twins until the near end of the pregnancy, even the Mediwizards hadn't known until then.

So when Voldemort towered over the children's crib, Lily potters lifeless body laying on the carpeted floor behind him, he simply stood staring at the children slightly slack-jawed.

There lay screaming was the boy he had come to eradicate, Harry.

However sitting up next to him, was a baby girl. Fluffy auburn hair and jolting emerald eyes stared up at him, knowingness swirling around in her magical aura.

The window was cracked open, the curtains fluttering in the soft breeze. Moonlight traveled through the window with graceful ease, illuminating the young girl as it glittered across her sunkissed skin, her face dusted with freckles. She looked to be the true embodiment of innocence.

The baby girl sent a childish grin to Voldemort, with a look in her eyes that made him feel like she knew more than should have been possible. He scowled and shook himself out of the trance the child had somehow placed on him.

He turned back to Harry, the child's tear-streaked porcelain skin reddening in anguish, his dark hair ruffling up as he struggled about in the crib. Such a stark difference to his sister, in behavior and appearance.

Voldemort pointed his skeletal wand at the boy, preparing to murder him and to then follow with the execution of his sister, just as he had done their parents.
One of these children was to be his demise.
He could not allow either of them to survive this night.

"Avada kedavr-"

Just as the spell grazed over Harry, a white light surrounded both twins. Voldemort was shot back as the spell rebounded, deflecting from the young boy and being sent straight back at the man who cast it.

Voldemort gasped, and turned to source of the gleaming white light.
The last thing he saw was a pair of ghostly white eyes flash, before returning to a bright green he recognized.
The girl, he thought, it was the girl, before crumbling into a pile of ash.

Albus Dumbledore arrived at the Potter home only a few moments later, not even taking a double glance at James Potter lifeless body slumped in the downstairs corridor.

Walking into the nursery, he headed straight to the crib where he heard sniffling. There, in the crib, was a baby boy being soothed to sleep by his younger sister. Dumbledore sighed, this wasn't supposed to happen, he had truly tried to protect the Potter, alas, his attempts were futile.

He noticed the pulsing, crimson, lightening bolt gash on the young boys head and the moonlight peeking in through the window, shining upon the young girl.

His suspicions were correct, they were the children of the prophecies.

Prying the young girl away from her brother "for the greater good" he muttered, before wrapping the girl up in a peach baby blanket he found in the other crib across the room.
His old face was haggard and sorrowful as he took one last glance at the screaming boy before apparating with clementine wrapped up in his arms.

Unedited