The Tower

Chapter 117: The Tower

"Wait...so you were looking for this golden flower, which can trap someone in a place, and encountered a princess in a tower with long hair?" Emma asked, as they ate, while Killian explained how Alice came to be. It was pretty obvious to all of them that Hook had definitely changed, though it wasn't too surprising. Parenthood was the one thing that could create such drastic change in a person. It was one of the few things that could become more important than anything, even revenge.

"Aye...why is that amusing?" he asked.

"It's just...was her name Rapunzel?" Emma asked. He looked surprised.

"Yes...or at least that's what she told me. How did you know that name?" he asked.

"Rapunzel...it's a pretty well known fairy tale," she replied.

"Ah that...well, somehow I doubt they got this one right either, because the next morning, Rapunzel was no more. In her place was a witch named Gothel and my child in her arms," he explained.

"That's quite an acceleration in pregnancy, but I guess we all know that magic can do just about anything," Persephone mentioned.

"Gothel is dangerous...I'm not sure I like the idea that she might come here after you. We have enough trouble with Queen Ravenna and her vendetta against our daughter," Hades said sternly.

"Papa Hades...we can't turn him away, especially if his child is in danger," Snow chided. He sighed.

"And I don't intend to, snowdrop...but Gothel is powerful and she hates humanity," Hades said.

"Wait...are you saying she isn't human?" David asked.

"She appears human, but she is really a part of a dead race of tree nymphs that were the first children of Mother Earth herself, Gaia," Persephone replied.

"Gaia was once benevolent and they lived in peace, secretly concealed away from an early race of humans. But she became very dissatisfied with humans and their mistreatment of the Earth. She and her eldest daughter, Gothel, grew very angry and bitter," he explained, as he paused for a beat.

She wanted them to pay, so with her husband Uranus...the Titans were born. But while the Titans raged against humans and nearly drove them to extinction, the Earth suffered their wrath as well. So when Uranus refused to stop his onslaught upon the Earth, Gaia implored her son Cronus to slay his father, which he did. In the process, Cronus and Rhea gave birth to the Olympians. I was their oldest son," Hades stated.

"Then you much of the rest of the story," Persephone added. He nodded.

"Yes...Zeus killed Cronus with Rhea's help to preserve humanity, but in the process, this world was stripped of its magic, thanks to Gothel. She fought us and nearly even toppled Zeus for control of Olympus. But he banished her to another realm. Before she was swept away, she cursed this land and took the magic with her," Hades explained. Realization dawned in Snow's eyes.

"That's why this land became the Land Without Magic," she said, putting it together. He nodded.

"Yes...exactly. Once Gothel was gone...Gaia was distraught and faded into the wind to become apart of the earth she once loved. The Olympians sealed the Titans away in Tartarus. Zeus was awarded control of the skies, Poseidon the seas, and me the Underworld," he continued.

"And now that the realms are United...this Mother Gothel is back?" David asked.

"My suspicion is that she resides in that magical forest that we don't know much about, as confirmed by the Captain," Persephone answered.