Suspicious Minds

Chapter 22: Suspicious Minds

Gold entered the hospital room and looked at the woman in the bed, instantly noticing there was something different in her eyes. He tried to ignore the sinking feeling in his gut, but then she opened her mouth.

"Who are you?" she asked in disdain.

"I...I am Mr. Gold," he stammered. It wasn't often that he of all people was caught off guard and he did not like it when it happened. She raised an eyebrow.

"Are you another supposed friend?" she asked.

"You could say that," he replied. She rolled her eyes.

"Well, if you're here to tell me all about the fun things we did when I was Belle, then save it. I've got my real memories back now," she stated. Rage burned inside him, as he thought about how to make the Queen pay for this.

"Belle..." he started to say.

"Lacey...my name is Lacey," she corrected.

"If you'll just hear me out...I can explain all of this," he pleaded. She gave him a strange look.

"Explain what? How we were shacking up together when you were convincing me I was this Belle?" she asked.

"It wasn't like that...I found you in the psychiatric ward of the hospital," he tried to explain.

"You...get away from my Lacey," Moe French said, as he hobbled into her room.

"You're the reason she's here at all. You did this," Gold hissed.

"Belle...this is the man that put you in the psych ward. He's the reason you ended up back here," he explained.

"Lacey...my name is Lacey," she corrected.

"Lacey dear...you remember," Moe said with relief in his voice. But that relief would be short lived.

"Oh I remember...he's definitely right about the fact that I'm here because if you," she hissed. "Lacey..." he pleaded.

"You had me committed!" She growled.

"Sweetheart, it was for your own good. You were quite disturbed. I was trying to protect you," he tied to explain. She laughed coldly.

"Protect me? By locking me away like a mental patient? Well, I won't be controlled by you again father, so kindly get the hell out," she spat.

"But..." he started to say

"GET OUT!" She screamed, as he stumbled out of the room. And she glared at Gold.

"Belle..." he pleaded.

"I'm not Belle and whatever little fantasy you were living with her is over. Get out," she spat. Tears stung in his eyes.

"Get out!" She demanded and he did as she asked. By the time he left the room, his tears were replaced with barely contained rage.

"Gold..." David started to say.

"Regina is going to pay..." he hissed.

"She is. We won't let her win," David agreed.

"We?" Gold questioned.

"We're friends and you don't have to go through this alone," David replied.

"I don't need friends," he refuted, as he turned away.

"Don't do this...pushing us away is exactly what Regina wants you to do," Jefferson warned.

"He's right. Divide and conquer, if we let her. But she won't win in the end if we stick together," David added.