Pressing On

Chapter 24: Pressing On

Emma sat absolutely stunned the next morning, as her father finished explaining everything he had learned about her mother's true heritage.

"I...I can't believe she doesn't know," Emma said in disbelief.

"I know...believe me, I was in just as much shock as you are now," he agreed.

"So Stephanie is..." she started to say.

"Persephone. She's supposed to be in the Underworld, but found a way to come to this world without a portal. She still didn't tell me how she did that, but she says we're out of Hades' reach...for now," he replied.

"And Hades isn't..." she said, her stomach twisting a bit.

"Oh no...Gods no, Hades is not your grandfather. Her marriage to him is...forced. According to the book, she fell in love with a Prince, brother to Queen Eva. Your mother is still biologically related to Eva, just not exactly the way we thought," he answered.

"And all of this is in this really old book?" Emma asked. He nodded.

"Gold has it "commissioned" to use his words. It's the only account and wasn't included in Henry's book. It also explains why we have the dreamscape," he added.

"She did that for us?" Emma asked. He nodded.

"She couldn't stop the curse, so she asked Morpheus to create the dreamscape for us. It nearly killed her to give up your mother, but she did it to save her from Hades. She didn't want us to lose you completely like she lost your mother," he explained.

"So she gave her her best chance," she muttered, realizing that her parents had done the same for her and she had done the same for Henry. She wondered if there would ever be a time in their bloodline that this history wouldn't repeat itself. As if David could sense what she was thinking, he got up from his desk and knelt in front of her.

"We're going to win this. Then no one is ever going to separate this family again," he assured.

"I want to believe that, Dad. But Regina is bad enough. Deimos is frighteningly worse. Now it looks like the God of the Underworld is also gunning for our family," she fretted.

"Hey...I know, I know it's overwhelming and downright scary. But after everything we've been through, there is nothing we can't get through, as long as we do it together," he tried to assure her. She took a calming breath and composed herself.

"I don't know how you do it sometimes. You always have all this faith..." she mentioned. He smiled and kissed her forehead.

"My love for you and your mother gives me the courage to have that faith. Good will win. True love does mean sacrifice sometimes, but this family has sacrificed enough as it is," he implored. She sighed.

"I hope you're right," she replied. She knew they were in for the long game and she had never truly been alone. Her parent's voices had always been there, but now she had them by her side. Her mother didn't remember yet, but she would. And she knew her father would do anything to protect the people he loved, just as she would...

Despite the weariness of things going on in town, like Damon walking free and his approaching trial, which she was almost assured would be a joke, the predicament of having Belle believe she's a loose barfly by the name of Lacey, and the discovery of her mother's true heritage told to her by her stunned father, Emma was able to enjoy the holidays for the first time in her entire life.

Mary was especially excited at the prospect of not being alone. Thanksgiving had been truly wonderful and Christmas was going to be no exception. She had gone all out with decorations around the loft, including the addition of mistletoe, which made her practically giddy. Especially when she told David what the purpose of mistletoe was. She found herself underneath that mistletoe with her love quite frequently after that and laughed heartily when he naturally suggested that they should have mistletoe up all year around.