Backlash

Chapter 15: Backlash

Today was the day. Regina smirked deviously, as she stared at that morning's edition of The Storybrooke Mirror. Instead of the announcement of two candidates for Sheriff on the front page, it instead displayed the scandalous past of one Emma Swan.

"Ex-Jailbird Birthed Babe Behind Bars," she read the headline. Henry's feelings had made her pause on giving Sidney the go ahead on this story for a mere moment. She knew he might pull away more from her after this, but he was doing that anyway. She was still his mother, which meant he would eventually understand all she was doing once she got rid of Emma Swan. And her idiot parents.

She couldn't believe this woman was the daughter of her most hated enemies, but she supposed it made sense. The Savior had brought unwelcome changes to her town in a very short time. And now, she had a lot of damage control to do. This was just the first step. With this story running this morning, it was likely Sidney would win the election for Sheriff by a landslide. Quite pleased with herself, Regina sauntered into her bathroom to get ready for the day. She couldn't wait to relish all the gossip this morning, as she made her rounds.

Wilby trotted back into the loft and made a beeline for the food and water Mary had set down for him, as she made breakfast. David tossed the rolled up newspaper on the counter and then put his arms around her from behind. She smiled, as he kissed her neck and she gazed lovingly at him.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked, remembering how she had awoke screaming and sobbing in the middle of the night.

"I'm fine...I'm just sorry I woke you," she replied. He kissed her hair.

"Don't be. I was glad I was there to hold you and kiss away the nightmares," he said. She smiled.

"Me too," she replied, as she divided the eggs on three plates, just as Emma came stumbling down the stairs.

"Mornings are stupid," she muttered, as she took a big sip of the coffee that was waiting for her. Emma ate a piece of bacon, as she unrolled the newspaper. But what was on the front page made her see red.

"Emma?" Mary asked, as she noticed the blonde had gone rigid.

"I can't believe her..." Emma growled, as she tossed the paper on the table for them to see.

"Oh no..." Mary fretted, as she read the headline. David clenched his fist, as he saw it too, giving her a sympathetic gaze.

"I can't believe she would do this to Henry," Mary said.

"Oh I do...she doesn't care! Henry's feelings are just unfortunate collateral damage to her," Emma spat.

"We'll beat her at this. You're still the clear choice for Sheriff over someone as slimy as Sidney Glass," David insisted. She shook her head.

"David's right. We're going to campaign for you and show this town that you're the person they want protecting this town," Mary added.

"I appreciate your optimism, guys, but this isn't good. Regina was probably holding this for exactly a moment like this, just to discredit me and influence the voters," Emma said dejectedly, as she started toward the stairs to go back upstairs.

"Emma..." Mary called, as the blonde turned back to her.

"You can't give up," she pleaded.

"When you first came to town, you told me that I did the best thing I could have done for Henry when I gave him the book in a time when I thought I had truly made a huge mistake. I gave him that book to give him hope when I had none myself," she continued.