(109) Telling Teddy - Roceit (and Analogical)

Start from the beginning

When Janus was first told his dads were planning to adopt again he was so scared. He thought it was because he wasn't a cute little kid anymore his parents were wanting a replacement they'd care about a lot more - and Janus would be forgotten. All the stress accumulated in Janus getting kicked out of school for the day for lying about doing his homework and projects and skipping classes to vent to Snake Boi. But as soon as he talked about all his stress to Virgil, and was helped through his first panic attack, all his troubles were reassured. And now he couldn't be happier to have a little life looking up to him.

The crying eventually died down a little and the whispering picked up as the two fathers decided how to get the family back to bed quickly. At this point Janus was talking to Snake Boi about his day at school the next day, nonchalantly, not caring about the volume.

Logan ushered the door open by a creak and smiled his usual soft smile. "Jan it's getting late. Patton's fine now, Virgil's just giving him a bedtime story. But you should quiet down before he demands cuddles with you." Both tired family members laughed a little as Janus moved back to his bed with Snake Boi under his arm. "Goodnight Jay."

"Night Dad."

*****

Fuck, today was chaotic. High school always was to be fair, but this day was different. It was the first day back after Christmas break so Janus and his friends were discussing the presents they received or how they spent the break - then someone new approached them.

"Hey, Roman Realeza, nice to meet you." The teen smiled at Janus, a wide smirk that for some reason caused Janus' heart to flutter. He seemed charismatic, had a slight Spanish accent, and he looked like he could be a model. "¡No, Remus, no lo voy a invitar a una cita!" The boy screamed back at an identical looking version of him dressed in green - probably speaking Spanish but it was too quick for Janus to recognise any words from Spanish class. "Sorry, he's my brother." Said brother was pulling funny faces across the room and already entertaining the entire class.

"I get it. My little brother's like that too. He is 6 though so it's excusable." When Janus laughed Roman's expression seemed to light up and he sat next to him. And for the rest of the day Janus got a new friend that was very attractive - and confused him a lot.

"And his locker's right next to mine!" Yes, at almost 16 years old Janus was venting to his teddy. This was a momentous moment. "It feels like a fucking Disney movie! There's these things happening to me that I've never felt before and..." He listed the 'things' he felt in his head: racing heart, face red, feeling in a dream-like state when Roman even so much as smiled... Wait...

"Everything alright kiddo?" Virgil knocked on Janus' door as he opened it, a smile on his face but his eyes concerned. "You're shouting at Snakey a little..."

For a moment Janus just watched Snake Boi curiously, tilting his head. Logan was pansexual and Virgil was demisexual, both with an attraction to the same sex, so they were probably the best to talk about this with. "How did you know you were attracted to Dad, Dad?" Janus inquired, noting that Virgil looked a little taken aback but he closed the door and sat on Janus' bed anyway.

"Well, Logan and I became close friends in college - wait, we were roommates in freshman year - yeah, it's too long ago for me to remember every detail." Virgil chuckled to himself and looked at his feet, a blush coming to his face as if he developed the crush on his now-husband yesterday. "I think we were studying together for Math 101 - and he was being super smart and remembering everything and teaching me. He just explained some statistics to me and I noticed some sparkle in his eyes and... it just made sense."

"Did you panic?"

"You know me, I panic at everything." Virgil giggled again, looking at his son and then the snake teddy behind him. "But yeah - as soon as I found out I ran to the bathroom and spoke about all of it to my childhood teddy."

This was new. Virgil had never mentioned he had a childhood toy, let alone one he spoke to just like Janus did. "You have a teddy too? Where is it?"

Virgil smirked and pointed behind Janus, directly at Snake Boi. Janus' eyes widened at his father. "You really think that teddy was built as a snake?" The father laughed, walking closer to the teddy. Snake Boi was a little misshapen with his fluff in clumps and he was a little short, stitches seemed to be in random places on his side too. But it was the thought that counted so Janus never minded it. Virgil picked up Snake Boi fondly, tugging the bow and hat that were just tied around the stuffy. "Can I?"

"Sure." Janus was curious now, so he was happy to let his dad do whatever he wanted with it. Slowly Virgil untied the bow, revealing a sewn-on purple necklace, and removing the top hat revealed a purple horn. "What is that?"

"It's Spidey. My childhood teddy. We removed the legs though when we found out you liked snakes, Logan read a whole encyclopaedia on knitting for you. Although I'm pretty sure he would have read it at some other point anyway..." Virgil looked at Snake Boi/Spidey with such love... and it all made sense. Virgil must have felt like he didn't need Spidey anymore so graduated the stuffed animal to a snake form for the scared little elementary schooler to have. Janus had a piece of his family as soon as he walked into his home.

Virgil tied everything up again and gave Janus back his teddy, then sat on the bed with a mischievous smile. "So - you ready to tell your Dad about this new crush?"