14. incomplete

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The Queen and King returned to see their daughter not long after Elara had left, at which point Dawn and Dusk took Night and Sol and left the chambers to give them privacy.

Aurora's father explained how they would welcome her mother back in a private celebration between their families, and that her birthday celebrations would be coming to her instead of vice versa due to her current situation.

She'd refused, tried to persuade them she could handle it, but they refused pointedly, and soon her room was filling with candles and decorations and then people; Dawn and Dusk both slid in a silver cart with a large chocolate cake on it, and she frowned on seeing it.

"Don't worry," they said, "it's not for you." She cocked her head at them, and they gave her a smile too suspiciously sweet and adorable.

"It's for me. Obviously," Dusk said in an obvious tone.

Dawn elbowed his side. "And me."

"No. You hoard all the cake at home, so this beautiful cake is mine." She scowled at him. "Try me, dumbass. We are in public now, so you cannot resort to your ridiculous methods."

"I'll lick it." She folded her arms across her chest, straightening. Determination danced in her silver eyes.

He smirked. "Do it. I dare you."

"Okay." She leaned forwards and stuck her tongue out, dangerously close to the frosting. Dusk grimaced. "I can't. There are other people who will be eating it, too," she said as she moved back. "None of which include you."

"Suck a cow's udders, you gremlin."

Aurora watched them incredulously. "Are the pair of you done now or should we continue without you?"

"Done," he said.

"I am afraid it is too late now. We are continuing without you." He stared at her blankly. "Stare at me all you like. I have made up my mind."

"Okay, if you are so certain," he said, slowly walking over. "I guess me and Dawn will just leave." He looked at the aforementioned and she stared back for a moment before nodding so slow he rolled his eyes. "Perfect. Come with me, then."

"Do it, I dare you," Aurora said, catching his amused gaze. There was no way he could ever say those words to her and mean them. "You won't be able to bring yourself to walk out that door. But by all means, be my guest. You are, after all." She wanted to know just how long he would keep up his little pretence, though.