10. sisterly quarrels

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Elara had shoved Aurora back without hesitation after the punch, and pain shot through her side as she fell back on the bench seat. She kicked her leg as she did, and the girl came tumbling down to the floor with a groan.

Both parents had tried to intervene, but the second King Ace saw where things would be going, he gently grabbed Queen Luna's arm and pulled her back.

"Ace!" she whisper-exclaimed, eyes wide.

"A trigger. The merging needs a trigger," he whispered back, quiet and soft.

She stared at him. "You cannot possibly mean..." When she trailed off, he nodded. "But it could hurt them. And their magic hasn't even been..."

The King and Queen looked at each other, and with one exchange of glances, knew.

"We have to let it happen," he whispered to her.

She nodded. "I know." She reached for his hand and pulled it to her, kissing it. "It will be over soon."

"There you go," Elara said to Aurora. "More proof that they do not care. The two of us were in the middle of a fight-and those two? Having a little conversation between themselves."

"That sounds like the words of someone who cares," she replied.

"And those sound like the words of someone who is wishfully thinking."

The former glowered at her, and within a split second, Elara had tackled Aurora to the ground, groans of dull pain leaving her as she tried to hit her back; the latter was faster and rolled over, hurrying to get away when she was pulled back by the skirts of her gown, landing onto the smooth and cold floor with a thud and a sickening crack to her head.

"Aurora!" their parents exclaimed, hurrying to pull her back.

She felt herself get pushed back gently against the bench seat. Blood had collected on her head, staining her pale hair a maroon and crimson colour as her eyes unfocused for a brief moment. The pain was equally as bad as it looked.

"I don't feel good," she mumbled, feeling a swell of something full and warm in her.

"Of course not. Who feels good after sorely losing?"

Her face stony, Aurora stared at the girl who she should have been loving instead of hurting, and all she could feel for her in that moment was nothing but disgust and spite.

As she fell back, exhausted and defeated, a sudden wave of bright energy spread through the room, in glistening colours of a shimmering gold and silver.

The distance the two sisters felt became closed in their souls as a warmth replaced the gaping hole, grasping them and their every nerve, sending a soft and warm electric tingle dancing through their bodies.