06. family

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

     For a few hours, Aurora slept in front of the fireplace. She didn't dream of the candle again, despite being in front of a flame the whole time, which only made her think about what Madam Eilidh had told her when she woke up. The thing that stopped her from doing do, though, were the arguing twins before her.

     What it was about, she could hardly make out as the thick blanket of lethargy was lifted from her. The second the familiar sound had reached her ears, she habitually groaned and lifted the knit blankets over her head, turning away from the voices and facing the back of the sofa with a huff.

     The commotion was nothing she wasn't used to by now, but that didn't mean she didn't still hate the constant arguing between the twins.

     "Look, stupid," Dusk hissed in a whisper-exclaim, his dark eyes no doubt widened at Dawn, "you woke her up! I told you to stay quiet!" From the silence, Aurora assumed she was rolling her eyes, but then she heard a thud and a scoff and felt something lightly hit her feet, realising she had thrown a cushion in retaliation instead. "This is why I am the favourite."

     "You are nobody's favourite," she shot at him, presumably glaring at him. "There is a reason the Princess does not mind your lack of a presence, and why you two always bickered as children. She does not like you. And if she is stupid enough to, then not as much as me. Or at all, actually. Nobody likes you, Dusk." The thud of a cushion followed twice. One from her, one from him.

     "Enough!" Aurora exclaimed as she sat up, gritting her teeth to stop from yelling out at the pain that shot and pulled through her side. She groaned in frustration, knitting her brows. "Grow up—the both of you." They went mum. "And also, I do not play favourites, just so you are all aware. Anyone I like and consider family, it is equally. And Dawn, I do like Dusk. I don't know how"—he gaped—"but I do. The same way he somehow manages to like me. I think."

     "I do," he said. "Even if you so foolishly willingly choose to be my sister's best friend. You clearly have no common sense," he added with a slight grimace. Dawn stuck her tongue out at him. "I will rip that tongue out with a spoon if I have to. Put it away, you shameless imbecile."

     She raised her brows. "A spoon?" A laugh left her, a mocking sound. "Have you lost your wits?" she remarked. "Wait, sorry. I forgot you need to have them in the first place to begin with in order to lose them." He opened his mouth to remark back, but he didn't get far.

     "Stop it," Aurora demanded. "If I hear or see you two arguing once more, I will get up and I will leave." That would be enough to shut them up.

At least she hoped it would; Dusk had a mouth that could run for days, the only one capable of keeping up a debate with her, something Dawn usually had to intervene in for everyone's sake.