18. full circle

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The next morning, Aurora had ran down for her first breakfast as a whole and reunited family, eager enough to ignore the pain that came from running at such full speed.

Of course that choice of hers had resulted in her parents telling her off, but she smiled at the berating and sat down, picking out food to eat for breakfast.

They had initially planned a family picnic for their first full day back together, but Elara had still been asleep and no-one wanted to disturb her, so they decided on a slightly late breakfast.

The long table in the dining area was filled with an assortment of foods and cutlery, from eggs to toast to bread rolls and pancakes and omelettes that had additional ingredients in it like peppers and cilantro rather than being made of just eggs.

For the first time in a long time, the second chair at the head of the table was filled, and Aurora grinned at the sight, giddy and bubbly, as though ready to explode with happiness.

She definitely felt better than she had last night when Cassius found her, and the happiness that filled her in that moment, she felt nothing could ever bring her down. If it could, then she at least had her family with her.

Elara hadn't come down for a while, taking her time down the stairs in one of the gowns Queen Luna-now in her royal attire-had stated she had left for her in what would now be her chambers. She didn't make eye contact with anyone on her slow walk down the stairs, and for a moment, Aurora thought she was going to walk past.

"Elara," she called out just as she brushed past her. Reluctantly, she came to a stop, sending her an unamused and impatient look. "Sit. Have something to eat."

"Okay." With the shrug of her shoulder, Elara reached forwards and took a slice of buttered brown toast off her plate, biting into it and walking away.

Aurora stared after her, then smiled faintly. That was better than nothing.

"She will take her time to come around," Queen Luna said, "but she will. I assure you."

"I really thought she was going to love me more," King Ace remarked. "Oh, well. Aurora has given me enough to go off on in the meantime until she decides to. I mean, if she does. If she doesn't, I have you two." That was a lie and everyone knew it. He could pretend like he didn't need her love but he did.

"You always have," they said with a smile.

He raised his brows at Queen Luna. "Not when you still hated me."

She laughed. "We were kids."

"It still hurts," he joked. She rolled her eyes playfully, leaning over and kissing his cheek with a smile and a soft laugh. "Okay, it's much better now." He turned to her with a brighter smile and placed a kiss on her head. "I love you."