03. wishful thinking

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace (the next morning)━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It had been hard to go about her day the next morning without remembering her unsettling dream about the candle. Something as absurd as what she had seen had to have been nothing but an image her mind had conjured up, Aurora concluded, and she put all thoughts of the odd images to rest as she continued with her day.

Of course, given her current situation, her 'day' consisted of bed rest, reading, eating and being helped to the bathroom when she needed it.

Not much transpired from the four walls of her chambers, but all boredom and faint helplessness leaked out of her from a hole she closed up when she remembered that the Aurelias would be coming over that day.

Dawn had already been staying there, so she was by Aurora's side early in the morning with a tray of breakfast the latter refused to eat-buttered toast, scrambled eggs and freshly made orange juice-and shoved back into the former's arms, who gladly ate away after making sure she didn't want it. She set the tray to the side when she was done, jumping up to help pick out Aurora's gown for the day.

In the meantime, as she did so, Aurora-propped up against her headboard-pulled her blankets to the side, almost immediately missing the warmth, and climbed out of bed to silently make her way over.

The marble floor was cool beneath her bare feet, sending shivers up her spine that her silk ankle-length nightgown and matching length cardigan weren't enough to shield her from.

"You should be in bed," Dawn said from the closet, her voice slightly middle by the distance as she looked through the racks of hanging gowns, all either shades of pinks, rose golds, nudes, silvers, golds and pinkish-browns. Her hearing had gotten sharp enough over the years she could now pick up on a conversation from another room. "Go back."

"Standing will not do me any harm," she stated. "And the movement will be good for me. Staying in bed all day will make my limbs lazy and deter me from wanting to move." Aurora wrapped her arms around herself, careful so as to not let her fingers brush her wound. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course you can," she responded softly, pulling out a simple gown-that was a rosey blush pink with long, puffed sleeves made from glimmering net with a square neckline-and turning to lift it up. "Do you like this?" Aurora nodded dismissively-if it was a gown, she loved it. Dawn furrowed her brows. "Tell me what you wanted to say. It looks like it's bothering you."

She considered for a moment, then spoke.

"I had a weird dream last night. I touched fire... and was left unscathed." Almost immediately, Dawn's brow cocked. Knowing her, she would be searching for something that had happened in relation to fire. With all the knowledge Aurora had, though, she was trying to be pragmatic and come up with plausible reasons. "It was really... unnerving."