19. soul sisters

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

By the time early evening had rolled around, Aurora and Dawn were still getting ready in the latter's chambers, the occasional impatient knocks from Dusk and the younger twins sounding at the door-which would only result in yelling from her and half-playful berating from Aurora.

With just half an hour to go, she was still doing her hair at Dawn's dresser, leaving it in its normal style of being left out with strands tucked behind her right ear, her wavy, waist-long locks cascading down her back; she was twisting small crystal hair pins in the shape of stars into her hair, the size of them the same as her pinky finger's nail-some were even smaller than that.

Dawn, on the other hand, was still picking out her jewellery, while murmuring bitterly under her breath about how her brother had been right when he'd told them to begin getting ready earlier.

Aurora laughed from the white stool of the dresser, her eyes stuck on her reflection as she twisted a pin in at the back, leaving her elbows raised in the air. "Complaining isn't going to change the fact that we are thirty minutes away from being late to an event in our own home."

She huffed, putting her earrings on with a frown. "Still," she said. "There is no need for him to rub it in every five minutes with a-"

A knock at the door cut her off.

"Are either of you ready yet?" Dusk called out, the impatience clear in his tone.

"No-now suck it up and deal with it. And then leave-and make sure you don't come back this time. I'm sick of your voice," Dawn responded.

"You act as if everyone isn't sick of yours," he taunted in a mock sweet tone, and there was no doubt a smile on his face. "Just hurry up. Carriages are already close to the palace-and then there are you two." The girls rolled their eyes.

Dawn looked at Aurora, and gave her a look, putting a finger to her mouth and gesturing for her to stay silent. Despite the confusion, which was clearly conveyed through the furrowed brows and the cocked head, she listened.

"I would take less time if Aurora wasn't passing out every ten minutes," she said, and the aforementioned immediately clasped a hand around her mouth, eyes widening: that wouldn't turn out well. "It is just a constant routine of her falling and then me picking her up. If it weren't for the thuds, I would never have even known she has fallen as many times as she has."

"Dawn!" Aurora whisper-exclaimed, mouth falling open. She playfully hit her arm. "Don't."

She only smiled complacently, satisfied with her job as she put the last earring in.