01. blazing inferno

𝗘 𝗜 𝗚 𝗛 𝗧 𝗘 𝗘𝗡 𝗬 𝗘 𝗔 𝗥 𝗦 𝗟 𝗔 𝗧 𝗘 𝗥

⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⊰∙∘ ༓ ∘∙⊱⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅⋅
𝒂𝒖𝒓𝒐𝒓𝒂 • the royal palace
⋅⋅⋅☽⋅⋅☾⋅⋅⋅

The temple was glowing an ethereal golden in the light of the sunrise, given an exclusive view to the sight as it stood one hundred feet high, large slabs of wide stone stairs leading all the way up from the plain green field below and to the Doric temple, resting on a colossal floor of stone and constructed from the best and strongest marble of the kingdom, resulting in an endless amount of sunlight being reflected off.

The glow made Aurora's already slightly sun-kissed skin appear entirely golden as she sat at the centre of the temple's floor with her best friend, Dawn, as though she was a statue of pure gold rather than an almost-eighteen princess who was currently drawing a rushed sketch of the kingdom's line of defence.

Her long, pale champagne blonde hair fell over her shoulders—nowhere near the shade of her silvery eyes—a grin stretched on her face and her shimmering, pale pink gown spreading beneath her and glittering in the sun; her flats were lying flat beside her. With the shadows and light falling over her, her chubbiness and curves were slightly more accentuated.

Her father sat far off to the side, accompanied by their guards, making quiet conversation that she didn't bother to listen in on—she already knew it was probably about upping her security and the palace's after the recent events.

At this point, Aurora feared for her own father's life—surely all that worrying had to be bad for his health?

"What's on your mind?" Dawn inquired, eyes focused on her sword as she sharpened it. She hardly used it but it was a possession of hers that the girl adored with every part of her.

Her mother—Lady Ophelia Flores—had gifted it to her alongside her father—Lord Orpheus Aurelia—for an earlier birthday, and now she kept it with her like her younger twin siblings did their stuffed teddy bears.

Aurora sighed, setting her pencil down with a shake of her head, loose strands of her waist-long hair falling over her eyes. She brushed them away to the side, but the gentle breeze caressing her skin made sure to do the same to her hair and dislodge her locks again.

"Nothing. Not really," she answered.

There was no point not being truthful with Dawn, though—she was like her sister, closer than one could have been, and she could spot a lie before she had even said it.

Dawn liked to say she could tell when she would lie long before the words had even left her mouth, and truthfully, Aurora now believed that.

"I suppose not, anyway. It's just Father. He has spent almost every waking hour of this last week looking out for me and screwing up his own life and health."

"He is not screwing anything up," she disagreed. "He might be a bit persistent, yes, but he worries for you. My parents being nobles worry enough, but your father is Crown King. Your family has to worry constantly about threats and danger simply because of who you are, and not that that ever happens, but after the gala last week, we can no longer be certain. Besides, he is alone at the moment. He does not have your mother to share the duties with."