17. catastrophe

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Aurora collided into a chest the second she had left the room, groaning. A laugh left the person, but from the scent-and height-alone, she could tell it was Dusk. When she looked up, though, she saw Dawn to his right.

For all they fought, they sure as hell didn't leave each other's presence. They went everywhere with each other, the twins. Wherever one was, the other usually was, too.

It was endearing for her, and something she wished she could have with Elara, but that was just wishful thinking.

Anything with her was probably wishful thinking at the moment.

"Did she hurt you?" they asked immediately, the second she had peeled herself from Dusk. "Are you okay?"

"No," she breathed out, brushing her hair out of her eyes. "I'm fine." She didn't know why she had bothered to lie in the first place-they always caught it straight away. "I mean it."

"Liar. You have tears in your eyes," they pointed out.

"Okay, this unison needs to stop. Quite frankly, it is terrifying," she remarked, pointing at them. "Is everyone else okay?"

"Screw everyone else," Dusk snapped. She raised her brows. "I mean... don't."

"They're fine. Just annoyed that they let you go," Dawn answered as she linked their arms; Aurora set her head on her left shoulder, sighing. "You need some rest. Come with me."

"I would be coming with you guys regardless."

"Since when did we offer to be your personal guard?" Dusk asked.

"Now."

"No."

"Fine. Then I will just roam the halls and the garden and this palace all on my own, vulnerable from all sides-"

"Fine," he grumbled, scowling. She beamed and Dawn sniggered, sticking her tongue out at him. "Put that away before I stab it with a fork."

She gaped. "I'll stab you with a fork."

"Do it, I dare you."

"Gladly," she said, stepping away from Aurora and towards him.

"Stop!" she exclaimed, rushing between the two who were staring at each other with narrowed eyes and frowns. "Can we just go back? You can both stuff your face in cake and ignore each other. Happy?"

"I would be, but this idiot ate all of it," Dusk said. "She clearly doesn't know how to share. Selfish imbecile."

"Better than being incompetent," Dawn shot at him.