20. the gala: part one

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the ballroom━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

There weren't many eyes on Aurora and Dawn as they made their way down the grand staircase, wide and cream coloured with stone balustrades, unlike what she had expected-if she didn't count all three families, of course, because otherwise they were all staring.

An impatient Dusk at the bottom of the stairs was frowning up at Dawn, though, who was already glaring back, making Aurora roll her eyes as they reached the landing.

"Look who still turned out hideous," Dawn shot at him.

"Oh, you're one to talk. I understand I am the more beautiful twin, but don't try to hide your insecurities behind insults. It is pathetic," he remarked.

"Okay. I'm going to go," Aurora said, eyes wide with something amongst shock and incredulousness and exasperation as she made to leave.

"Wait!" they quickly called out, grabbing her wrists gently.

"Would you look at that? I'm a prisoner," she commented sarcastically. "What is it?"

"Don't go anywhere alone," they reminded her, letting go of their grip on her.

"If you keep talking in unison then I will-simply out of spite." She crossed her arms across her chest, a smug smile on her face. "In fact, I'll go now."

"No!"

She laughed to herself. Their eyes were so wide and full of worry it looked as though they were ready to start crying. For a moment, she was afraid they would, and her own eyes widened again.

"Okay. Okay. I will not go anywhere unaccompanied." The immense relief on their faces was enough of an answer. "Is Elara down yet?"

Dusk's frown was as deep as Dawn's as he responded. "Why?" he grumbled.

She frowned back. "Because she is my sister and I would like to see her. You may all manage to get away with my security arrangements, but this is something no-one gets a say in regardless of their... colourful opinions."

"Colourful? I'm a fucking rainbow," Dawn remarked, eyes narrowed with contempt as she scanned the crowd. "Hm. Father's alone. At a public event. That is a rarity."

"Mother had to take Night and Sol to the bathroom the second you two came down," he explained. "It seems a love of cake runs in this family."

"Are you going to elaborate any further?" Aurora asked.

"No." He gave her a smile.