25. a new normal

𝖆𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆 • the grand palace━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

     After the gala was over and everyone had retreated back to their rooms in the middle of the night to rest, Aurora had found her way to the library after convincing Elara to go with her, something that had her grinning from excitement so wide her cheeks still hurt five minutes later as they roamed the place.

She had promised to give her sister a tour the next morning, but settled for one of the colossal library in the meantime seeing as that was all they could manage for the time being. Aurora had been enamoured by the hundred—probably thousands—of books they stored in the room as they walked round, but Elara was indifferent to it apart from the unbelievable size of it.

     "What is the need for all these books?" she questioned as they continued down an isle. Each subsection alone had nearly half a dozen isles dedicated to it. "Surely you cannot finish reading every last one of them in this abnormally large place."

     "No, but there are a lot of us who read," she answered. "Me and Dawn come here a lot of the time, and so does Dusk—and where he goes Cass follows, naturally. And vice versa—like me and Dawn. We all come here to read more often than you would think. Except for when we were in school. Then it wasn't a recreational thing but something for academics. You will be glad you missed those days. Trust me."

     Elara chuckled, the sound a little cynical. "I hardly know you."

     "But that does not mean we cannot learn about each other," Aurora countered. "There is so much to ourselves that not even we know. And you and I? We have a very long time to get to know each other." She so hoped they would. The possibility of not being able to get to know her twin sister would crush her and break her into pieces.

"You seem determined. That is about all I have gathered about you so far," she pointed out. "Now, do me a favour and tell me what we are doing here before my boredom eats away at me and I walk out."

     "I figured since we both have learnt something new about us... well, we could read about it, learn what we can until we get the time to learn about it from our parents. This library is a great place to start," she explained. That, and she wanted to take her mind off of what had happened earlier with Xander. "But I won't force you. I will understand if you want to leave and if you do, then I will not stop you."

     For a moment, the girls stared at each other. Aurora expected Elara to move away or to walk out, but she didn't. Not even when she walked closer.

     "I don't want to go," she said. "Not right now at least." She sighed deeply, running a hand over her silky hair. "All of last week—and today, especially—I have been thinking about all this and... I have realised, admittedly a bit late, that there is no point trying to push you away. You play no part in this and absolutely none of this is remotely your fault." Elara went silent for a few seconds. "And I am sorry... for everything. For the way I have acted and for the way I hurt you."